Another two ships relativity question

In summary, the two identical ships traveling at 0.999C and following paths that are 10 degrees apart will experience time dilation, with only 4.47 years passing for the passengers compared to 100 years from an external frame of reference. The ships will also be 17.4 light years apart after traveling 100 light years. The calculations for these results are based on the speed of light being 1 and the ships both having a speed of 0.999C. There is no need to consider length contraction in this scenario, as long as the time coordinate and coordinate distance between the two ships are being compared in an inertial coordinate system. However, factors such as relativity of simultaneity should be taken into
nearc
Gold Member
I wanted to double check my calculations an interpretation of relativity. Thanks in advance.

Two identical ships leave the same point at the same time traveling .999C and travel a 100 light years each but leave on paths that are 10 degrees apart. If the passengers where to compare their time spent traveling to an outside observer they would only show that 4.47 years [1] have passed compared to the 100 years from the external frame of reference. However, since they have traveled 100 light years on their two different vectors the two ships are now 17.4 light years apart [2].

[1] let c = 1 and v = .999, then 100 years * (1-.999^2)^.5 = 4.47 years
[2] sin 5 = opp/hyp = x/100, x = 100 * sin 5 = 8.72, so 5 degrees gives 8.72 light year distance and then 10 degrees would be 17.4 light years distance between the two ships after traveling 100 light years.

Attachments

• two ship triangle.png
    two ship triangle.png
    1.5 KB · Views: 440
Physics news on Phys.org
don't have my calculator here but I think your logic is correct

thanks for all who have replied or viewed my question, but can i get a little more confirmation that this is correct? as a teacher i don't want spread misinformation. do i need to clarify anything? do i need to account for length contraction?

I get the same results. No need to consider length contraction if you're only a) comparing the time coordinate in an inertial coordinate system in which the ships both have speed 0.999c, with the times measured by the ships, and b) talking about the coordinate distance between the two ships in that inertial coordinate system.

However, you need to be very careful if you start talking about such things as one ship's idea about the distance to the other ship or what time it is on the other ship, because of relativity of simultaneity.

1. What is the concept of "Another two ships relativity question"?

The "Another two ships relativity question" is a thought experiment that aims to explain the concept of relativity by using two ships moving at different speeds and observing each other's movements.

2. How does the speed of the ships affect their relative positions?

According to the theory of relativity, the faster a ship moves, the slower time passes for that ship. This means that the ship moving at a faster speed will appear to be behind the slower-moving ship, even though they are actually moving at the same speed.

3. What is the significance of the two ships moving at different speeds?

The two ships moving at different speeds in the "Another two ships relativity question" demonstrate how relative motion and the perception of time can be affected by an observer's frame of reference. This concept is fundamental to the theory of relativity and has significant implications in the field of physics.

4. Can this thought experiment be applied to real-life situations?

While the "Another two ships relativity question" is a simplified thought experiment, the concept of relativity is widely used in real-life situations. For example, GPS systems must account for the time dilation caused by satellites moving at high speeds in space.

5. How does this thought experiment relate to Einstein's theory of relativity?

The "Another two ships relativity question" is a simplified version of a thought experiment presented by Albert Einstein in his theory of special relativity. It illustrates the principles of relative motion and time dilation, which are key components of Einstein's theory.