Where Does the Energy Go in Atomic Collisions?

• Thread starter godingly
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Energy
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of heat and energy conversion in collisions between atoms. It is pointed out that the second law of thermodynamics does not require work to convert to heat and that the concept of heat should not be applied to microscopic collisions.
godingly
Hey, I know I'm wrong, but I don't know where. I've read several textbooks and searched the web, I would appreciate if you could explain my mistake:

When two atoms collide with each other, they would do work on each other. By the second law of thermodynamics, some of this work would turn to heat, which will dissipate. Eventually, all of the atom's energy would convert to heat, and the atoms would stop moving. This is clearly not happening, so what's wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
godingly said:
Eventually, all of the atom's energy would convert to heat, and the atoms would stop moving.
Heat is the movement of atoms.

The second law of Thermodynamics doesn't require any of the work to convert to heat. More importantly though you are trying to a apply a macroscopic concept - heat - to a microscopic collision. Where do you supposed the energy of the collision will go, if not the atoms themselves? Some of it may be radiated as electromagnetic radiation (That would be considered heat from a macroscopic point of view), but there is no contradiction there.

What is energy?

Energy is the ability to do work or cause change. It exists in many different forms, such as kinetic energy (energy of movement), potential energy (stored energy), thermal energy (heat), and electromagnetic energy (light).

Why is understanding energy important?

Energy is a fundamental concept in science and is essential for understanding how the world works. It is also crucial for developing new technologies and solving global challenges such as climate change.

What is the most common misunderstanding about energy?

The most common misunderstanding about energy is that it can be created or destroyed. In reality, the law of conservation of energy states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed from one form to another.

How do we measure energy?

Energy is measured in joules (J) in the International System of Units (SI). Other commonly used units include calories (cal) and kilowatt-hours (kWh).

Can we run out of energy?

No, we cannot run out of energy. However, we can run out of non-renewable energy sources, such as fossil fuels. That is why it is important to use renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power, that can be replenished naturally.