Water Slide Projectile Experiments: Launch Angle vs Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of water park slides and how to ensure landing safety for individuals using them. The individual plans to conduct an experiment using a model slide and controlled object to determine the optimum angle and water depth for safe landing. They also request links to previous experiments on the subject. The response suggests searching for existing literature on designing water slides and encourages the individual to return to Physics Forums with specific questions after conducting their own research.
barca12345
Hello guys.
I was wondering about slides in a water a park and how they calculate the landing distance to predict where a person who land in order to keep them safe by landing them in the water of course... and also at an appropriate speed.

So I want to do an experiment on this by making a model slide and sliding a controlled object down it. What are some things I should consider? and What are some variables I can change?

Maybe something like launch angle vs distance? and find out the optimum angle for the shortest distance or something like that?

If you can provide links to experiments that people have already done , it would be greatly appreciated as well.

or maybe even the pool water depth with speed of entry/launch of angle? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
barca12345,

Welcome to Physics Forums! Many members here are well-educated and many have life-long experiences in the sciences. We members are always ready and willing to assist any real "searcher" who wants to increase her knowledge in the sciences. We do not, however, spoon-feed questioners.

Have you searched for answers on the internet yet? Do you use Google or other search engines to find information? Using Google I entered the search terms "desiging waterslides" and within approximately 3.086 seconds many websites appeared that addressed you questions directly. Here's the very first one: http://www.interfab.com/swimming-pool-slides/Build-Your-Own-Slide.aspx

My recommendation for you is to examine the existing literature on the subject first. Then, if you have some doubts or specific questions, come right back here to Physics Forums and post them. You may expect expert help in understanding and elimination of any doubts you may have about the underlying science.

By the way, may I suggest that in future your revise your greeting from "Hello guys" to include the other not-so-insignificant part our scientific community, females?

Cheers, Bobbywhy

1. What is the purpose of conducting water slide projectile experiments?

The purpose of conducting water slide projectile experiments is to investigate the relationship between the launch angle and the distance traveled by the projectile. This can help us understand the physics behind water slide rides and potentially improve their design.

2. How do you conduct a water slide projectile experiment?

To conduct a water slide projectile experiment, you will need a water slide, a projectile (such as a small ball or toy car), a measuring tape, and a protractor. First, choose a launch angle and mark it on the slide. Then, launch the projectile from that angle and measure the distance it travels. Repeat this process with different launch angles and record your results.

3. What factors can affect the outcome of a water slide projectile experiment?

The outcome of a water slide projectile experiment can be affected by several factors, including the weight and shape of the projectile, the surface of the slide, and the amount of water on the slide. Wind and other environmental factors can also play a role in the results.

4. Why is it important to vary the launch angle in water slide projectile experiments?

Varying the launch angle in water slide projectile experiments allows us to see the relationship between the angle and the distance traveled. This can help us determine the optimal angle for a water slide ride to achieve the greatest distance and speed.

5. What are the applications of water slide projectile experiments?

Water slide projectile experiments have several applications, including improving the design and safety of water slide rides, understanding the physics behind projectile motion, and providing a fun and educational activity for students to learn about physics and experimentation.