Distance an object travels after sliding and falling from roof

In summary, the conversation discusses a physics question involving calculating the distance a slate tile falls from a roof. The roof is angled at 30 degrees and has a length of 6m and a height of 10m. The mass of the tile is 0.8kg and the coefficient of friction is assumed to be 0.5. The equations used include friction force, normal contact force, resolving in the Y and X direction, and acceleration. The final step involves finding the range distance the projectile will travel, which can be done by using a parabolic equation between the Y and X velocity components. Solving for the distance at which the tile hits the ground involves setting up a quadratic equation using the values of the height,
Natalie Johnson

Homework Statement

[/B]
My physics teacher - "You may like this question, its very structured"
Calculate the distance a slate tile falls from a roof

The roof is angled at an angle 30 degrees.
mass of slate tile is 0.8kg
The length of the roof is L=6m
The height of the roof above the ground is h=10m
The object will slide down the roof a distance L before it like launched as a projectile through the air until it reaches the ground.
Coefficient of friction is assumed to be 0.5
g is for gravity
Find d, the distance it reaches from the roof is d.

Homework Equations

Friction force = Normal Contact force * coefficient of friction

Resolving in Y Direction
Normal Contact force = mass * g * cos (30)

Resolving in X Direction
ForceX= mass*g* sin(30) - Friction Force

Now find acceleration of object sliding down roof using F=m*a
a = ForceX / m

Now find the velocity at the point the tile leaves the roof using v^2 = u^2 + 2*a*s
a = ForceX/m
s = Length of Roof = 6m
v = ??

Now find the range distance the project will travel

d_max = sqrt ( (v^2 / g) + 2 * (v^2 / g) * h )

The Attempt at a Solution

Please can you comment if my above logic and equations is good. I can plug the numbers in no problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks good apart from the last step, after it leaves the roof, which I don't follow.

Also, given what happens after it leaves the roof, perhaps you are better to keep x and y velocity components separate?

PeroK said:
It looks good apart from the last step, after it leaves the roof, which I don't follow.

Also, given what happens after it leaves the roof, perhaps you are better to keep x and y velocity components separate?
Hm yea I took an equation from my book for a range but I assume its wrong.
Do I need to work out time of flight before obtaining a distance?

That would be the structured way to do it. Although you might think about the parabolic equation between y and x.

PeroK said:
That would be the structured way to do it. Although you might think about the parabolic equation between y and x.
Are you allowed to expand on that? I have been looking through my notes and unable to pin point what you mean

Natalie Johnson said:
Are you allowed to expand on that? I have been looking through my notes and unable to pin point what you mean

This is actually quite an interesting problem. If you stick with your original approach, you have a formula for the speed as it leaves the roof:

##v^2 = 2gLf(\theta)## (Equation 1)

Where ##f## is some function of ##\theta## that I'll leave you to work out. Hint: it only involves ##\theta## and the coefficient of friction ##\mu##. You have more or less done all this already in your original post.

Now, the slate leaves the roof at this point as a projectile with the above initial speed and at a downward angle of ##\theta## below the horizontal.

If you take the roof as ##y = 0## and downwards as positive ##y##, then you get:

##y = (v\sin \theta)t + \frac12 gt^2## and ##x = (v\cos \theta)t##

If you combine these two, you should get an equation for ##y## as a parabolic function of ##x##:

##y = Ax + Bx^2## (Equation 2)

Where I'll leave you to work out ##A, B##. Note: they are not constants but involve ##\theta, g, v^2##. Note that getting rid of ##t## in this way can be a very useful technique.

Now, you can substitute equation 1 for ##v^2## into equation 2. That gets rid of ##v^2##. But, do you notice anything else interesting?

Finally, if you set ##y = h##, the height of the roof, you have a quadratic in ##x##. You can plug in the values of ##h##, ##\theta## and ##\mu## and solve this for ##x##, the distance at which the slate hits the ground.

I think I have got to the final part, Does the final equation mean the distance it travels on the ground is unrelated to the velocity at which it leaves the roof ?

Natalie Johnson said:
I think I have got to the final part, Does the final equation mean the distance it travels on the ground is unrelated to the velocity at which it leaves the roof ?
No, that cannot be true. What makes you think that? What answer do you get?
As a check, what should you get in the limit as L tends to infinity?

Natalie Johnson said:

The velocity as it leaves the roof is an intermediate variable. It's not an input to this problem. If you do a step-by-step approach you may have to calculate several intermediate variables. But, if you work through things algebraically, the intermediate variables should disappear.

It's up to you when you plug the numbers in. The full plug-and-chug approach might be:

Calculate all the forces; calculate the acceleration; calculate the speed/velocity as it leaves the roof; calculate the time of flight; calculate the horizontal distance where it hits the ground.

The full algebraic approach would be to generate an expression for ##d## that involves only the input parameters: ##L, \theta, h, g##. Although, in this case, getting to a quadratic equation for ##d## is probably the place to stop and plug in the numbers.

I prefer keeping the algebra as long as possible for many reasons. It let's you see how the answer relates to the inputs. I find I can remember algebraic sequences: the same algebra turns up in very different problems. When the physics gets more advanced, you problems cannot be solved just by putting numbers into a calculator.

This might be a good problem to do both ways (and check you get the same numerical answer).

1. How do you calculate the distance an object travels after sliding and falling from a roof?

To calculate the distance an object travels after sliding and falling from a roof, you can use the equation d = 1/2 * a * t^2, where d is the distance, a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and t is the time the object takes to fall.

2. Why does the distance an object travels increase the longer it falls from a roof?

The distance an object travels increases the longer it falls from a roof because the object is accelerating due to the force of gravity. As it falls, it gains speed and covers more distance in each subsequent second.

3. How does the mass of the object affect the distance it travels after sliding and falling from a roof?

The mass of the object does not affect the distance it travels after sliding and falling from a roof. Both a heavy and a light object will fall at the same rate due to the force of gravity, and therefore cover the same distance in the same amount of time.

4. Is air resistance a factor in calculating the distance an object travels after sliding and falling from a roof?

Air resistance is a factor in calculating the distance an object travels after sliding and falling from a roof. As an object falls, it experiences air resistance which slows it down and affects the distance it travels. However, for objects falling from a roof, the effect of air resistance is usually negligible.

5. Can the angle of the roof affect the distance an object travels after sliding and falling?

Yes, the angle of the roof can affect the distance an object travels after sliding and falling. If an object is sliding at an angle before falling, it will have a horizontal velocity component that can increase or decrease the total distance it travels after falling from the roof.