Solving Word Problem: Fill 6L Car Radiator w/ 10% Antifreeze Solution

In summary, the problem is asking for the amount of a 90% antifreeze solution that must be added to a 6 litre car radiator that is 2 thirds full of water to make a 10% antifreeze solution. The correct equation to use is 0.9x = 0.1(4+x), where x represents the number of litres of antifreeze added.
DethRose
Ive got an assignment of word problems and can't seem to figure this one out:

A 6 Litre car radiator is 2 thirds full of water. How much of a 90% antifreeze solution (90% is alcohol by volume) must be added to it to make a 10% antifreeze solution in the radiator?

I came up with the equation: 0.9x=(0.1)(6)

but that didnt work so any help about what the way to set up the problem would be great.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
First, this should probably be in the homework section, but oh well

Second, you hvae to ask yourself a different question (which you don't seem to have taken into account)

How much water is in the radiator?

4L of water

Ok, this whole posting in two places isn't going to cut it, so I'm just going to stick with this thread.

If the anti-freeze solution is 90% antifreeze, then when you add a volume V of solution to a volume v of liquid, your total volume becomes V + v, and your anti-freeze portion is .9V. So how can this be applied to the problem?

ah

so the equation should be 4+.9V=6(.1)?

is that correct?

ok i tried that equation and got an answer of -3.77777 so that can't be the correct answer, so i am kind of stumped as to what to try next lol.

You have to explain WHY you think that's the equation. I don't know why you think there should be a 6 at all, for example, so it's difficult to help you

You seem to be thinking that the radiator must be filled. That's obviously incorrect- in order to fill the radiator, you would have to add 2 litres of 90% antifreeze which would NOT give you a 10% solution.

Let x be the number of litres of antifreeze added. Then you have 4+ x litres of liquid in the radiator. Since the antifreeze solution is 90% anti-freeze, you have added 0.9x litres of antifreeze. For that to be 10% of the entire amount, you must have 0.9x= 0.1(4+ x). Solve that equation for x.

1. How much antifreeze should be added to a 6L car radiator to create a 10% solution?

In order to create a 10% solution in a 6L car radiator, you will need to add 0.6L of antifreeze. This can be calculated by multiplying 6L by 10% (or 0.1).

2. What is the ratio of antifreeze to water in a 10% solution?

The ratio of antifreeze to water in a 10% solution is 1:9. This means that for every 1 part of antifreeze, there should be 9 parts of water.

3. Can I use any type of antifreeze for my car radiator?

No, it is important to check the owner's manual or consult with a mechanic to determine the appropriate type of antifreeze for your specific car make and model. Using the wrong type of antifreeze can potentially damage your car's engine.

4. Is it necessary to completely fill the car radiator with the 10% antifreeze solution?

It is not necessary to completely fill the car radiator with the 10% antifreeze solution. It is important to leave some space in the radiator to allow for expansion as the car heats up.

5. How often should I check and refill the antifreeze in my car radiator?

It is recommended to check and refill the antifreeze in your car radiator every 2-3 years or as advised by your mechanic. This will help maintain the proper ratio of antifreeze to water and ensure the efficiency of your car's cooling system.