Solving a Fluid Volume Physics Problem Using Archimedes' Principle

In summary, a small sculpture made of brass with a secret central cavity is submerged in water and has a weight of 15.76 N in air and 13.86 N in water. By using Archimedes' Principle and the buoyant force formula, the volume of the brass is calculated to be 1.9e-4 m^3. This suggests that there is no cavity, and the suggested cavity has a "hollow ring". However, further calculations with 3 significant figures show that the volume of the cavity is actually 4 x 10-6 m^3, confirming its existence.
Rachel C
I'm stuck on a practice problem for physics (and I have a test tomorrow afternoon!)

A small sculpture made of brass (ρ = 8470 kg/m3) is believed to have a secret central cavity. The weight of the sculpture in air is 15.76 N. When it is submerged in water, the weight is 13.86 N. What is the volume of the secret cavity?

I think this problem involves Archimedes’ Principle (Fbuoyant = Wdisplaced fluid ). And I know W = ρ*V*g. The density of water is 1000 kg/m3. I know the answer to the problem is 4 x 10-6 m3.

I just do not know how to get that answer because everything I come up with is wrong! I tried plugging in the weight of water, density of water, and gravity and solving for the volume displaced. Then I did the same thing with the weight of the sculpture in air, density of brass, and gravity and solving for the volume of brass. Then I subtracted that volume from the volume displaced by water… and came up with the wrong answer! I would appreciate any help! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the formula for F_{buoyant}...?And what is this force equal to?

Daniel.

P.S.Assume equilibrium when the body is submerged.

Rachel C said:
A small sculpture made of brass (ρ = 8470 kg/m3) is believed to have a secret central cavity. The weight of the sculpture in air is 15.76 N. When it is submerged in water, the weight is 13.86 N. What is the volume of the secret cavity?
The volume of the brass (ie. just the brass, without the cavities) is the mass/density. The mass is the weight (mg) divided by g (15.76/9.8 = 1.61 kg). The volume of just the brass, therefore, is: 1.61/8470 = 1.9e-4 m^3

The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the water displaced. The volume of water displaced is equal to the volume of the brass and cavities (assuming the cavities are watertight).

The buoyant force of 15.76-13.86 = 1.9 N in water = 1.9/9.8 = .19 kg of water = 1.9e-4 m^3 This is the volume of water displaced.

So what does that tell you about the alleged cavity?

AM

Okay,what are you saying,really...? :confused: :wink:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
Okay,what are you saying,really...?
I am saying that this cavity appears to have a hollow ring.

AM

That's a weird conclusion.Your calculations seem to show otherwise. :wink:

Judjing after your calculations,the statue is not hollow,isn't that right...? :wink:

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
That's a weird conclusion.Your calculations seem to show otherwise.
Right. The calculations show there is no cavity. Hence the suggested cavity has a 'hollow ring' - ie is false.

AM

I hope you're very much convinced that there is a cavity in the sculpture and that your calculations need "polishing"...

Daniel.

Andrew Mason said:
The volume of the brass (ie. just the brass, without the cavities) is the mass/density. The mass is the weight (mg) divided by g (15.76/9.8 = 1.61 kg). The volume of just the brass, therefore, is: 1.61/8470 = 1.9e-4 m^3

The buoyant force is equal to the weight of the water displaced. The volume of water displaced is equal to the volume of the brass and cavities (assuming the cavities are watertight).

The buoyant force of 15.76-13.86 = 1.9 N in water = 1.9/9.8 = .19 kg of water = 1.9e-4 m^3 This is the volume of water displaced.

So what does that tell you about the alleged cavity?

AM

Thanks Andrew! When I used 3 significant figures, I calculated that the volume of the cavity is 4 x 10-6 m3, which is the correct answer. Thanks again!

1. What is fluid volume physics?

Fluid volume physics is the study of the behavior and properties of fluids, such as liquids and gases, and how they interact with their surroundings. It involves understanding concepts such as pressure, flow, and volume in order to predict and explain the behavior of fluids in different situations.

2. What is a fluid volume physics problem?

A fluid volume physics problem is a question or scenario that requires the application of principles and equations from fluid volume physics to solve. These problems often involve calculating quantities such as pressure, flow rate, or volume in a given system.

3. What are some common applications of fluid volume physics?

Fluid volume physics has numerous real-world applications, such as in engineering, meteorology, and medicine. It is used to design and analyze fluid systems, such as pipelines and pumps, and to understand weather patterns and ocean currents. In medicine, it is used to model blood flow and fluid dynamics in the human body.

4. What are some key concepts in fluid volume physics?

Some key concepts in fluid volume physics include Bernoulli's principle, which describes the relationship between fluid pressure and velocity, and Pascal's law, which states that pressure applied to a confined fluid is transmitted equally in all directions. Other important concepts include viscosity, buoyancy, and laminar versus turbulent flow.

5. How can I improve my understanding of fluid volume physics?

To improve your understanding of fluid volume physics, it is important to practice solving problems and working with equations. You can also read textbooks and articles on the subject, watch educational videos, and participate in hands-on experiments. Additionally, seeking out a mentor or joining a study group can also help you deepen your knowledge and understanding of this field.