Calculating Force to Pull Copper Ball Upward

In summary, the question is about calculating the force required to pull a copper ball with a radius of 2.00cm upward through a fluid at a constant speed of 9.00cm/s. The drag force is proportional to the speed with a constant of .950kg/s. The equation used to calculate the resistive force is R=-bv, where b= .950kg/s and v= .09m/s. After setting up the equation summing the y-forces, the weight of the ball is taken into consideration and the final answer is 3.01N.
anneseanandy
I need to calculate the force required to pull a copper ball radius 2.00cm upward through a fluid at the constant speed 9.00cm/s. The drag forse is to be proportional to the speed, with proportionality constant .950kg/s. Ignore any boyant force.

What I did so far was figure out the resistive force using the equation: R=-bv, where b= .950kg/s and v= .09m/s
So that gives me -.0855Newtons.

My equation set up so far is:
SumYForces = mg+ Resitive force= Pull Force
and then from there I have no clue, the answer in the back of the book is 3.01 N, but I just can't seem to get it. Thanks -anne

Physics news on Phys.org
How about the weight of the ball?

PS: the unit of that proportionality constant is not kg/s. It must be N-s/m so that when you multiply it by m/s you end up with N.

Last edited:
the weird thing is they give no mass, and that's what they give as the proportional constant.

You are given the radius of the ball. From that, with a little effort, you can find the mass (and then the weight).

As to the unit of the constant, you're right. Sorry, I guess I was too tired last night. (1kg/s)*(1m/s)=1(kg-m/s^2)=1N

1. How is force calculated when pulling a copper ball upward?

Force is calculated by multiplying the mass of the copper ball by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²). This will give you the total force required to pull the ball upward.

2. What is the mass of the copper ball?

The mass of the copper ball can be measured using a scale or calculated by multiplying the density of copper (8.96 g/cm³) by the volume of the ball.

3. How does the angle of pull affect the force required?

The angle of pull does not affect the force required to pull the copper ball upward. As long as the force applied is in the same direction as the motion, the magnitude of the force will remain the same.

4. Are there any other factors that affect the force required to pull the copper ball upward?

Other factors that can affect the force required include the coefficient of friction between the surface and the ball, and any external forces acting on the ball such as air resistance or buoyancy.

5. How can the force be adjusted if the ball is not moving upward?

If the ball is not moving upward, the force can be adjusted by increasing the magnitude of the force applied or by reducing any external forces acting on the ball. Additionally, adjusting the angle of pull may also affect the force required.