The World's Largest Computer in 1951

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Computer
In summary, the ENIAC was a massive machine weighing 30 tons, occupying 1,000 square feet of floor space, and containing over 70,000 resistors, 10,000 capacitors, 6,000 switches, and 18,000 vacuum tubes. It required 150 kilowatts of power to run, which was enough to light a small town. The final machine was less powerful than a $5 pocket calculator. The Russian Ekranoplan, also known as the Caspian Sea Monster, was a ground effect vehicle that could travel over 400 km/h and weighed 540 tons fully loaded. It was used as a high-speed military transport and could transport over 100 tonnes of cargo. The
  • #1,821
Trans-1,2-Diaminocyclohexane-N,N,N',N'-tetraacetic acid, monohydrate?

Physics news on Phys.org
  • #1,822
Did you find the disaster? I haven't found anything- oxalic acid was just the only one I found that was explosive.
I figure it was either an explosion or failure (like a dam or something). But I can't imagine how a chelating agent would cause a failure? Of course, I didn't know what a chelating agent was until this question. :rolleyes:

• #1,823
The film Blade, wherein several vampires are injected with an anticoagulant chemical, EDTA, and explode violently. :yuck:

• #1,824
Where is that Ivan sea king?

• #1,825
Yes, where is old Posie? He's the one who suggested we keep two questions going for this very reason. :frown:

• #1,826
wow..you guys are struggling to keep this thread alive, especially after the "where is it" thread came alon :biggrin:

• #1,827
yomamma said:
wow..you guys are struggling to keep this thread alive, especially after the "where is it" thread came alon :biggrin:

What are you talking about sir, " where is it", well its at the bottom of my
garden, we call it the privy, apart from that i can not find my car keys, where
the eky thump are they.

• #1,828
No, no, and no. :biggrin:

In one form, it is treated with sulfur fumes. We also find calcium, potassium, oxalate and chloride present in this compound.

Last edited:
  • #1,829
Also, one part this with nine parts water removes rust from iron.

• #1,830
Baking powder?

• #1,831
Wait- molasses? That can't be right. :confused:

• #1,833
Oh, yeah, and:
Sulphured molasses is made from green (unripe) sugar cane and is treated with sulphur fumes during the sugar extraction process.
The non-sugar content includes many salts such as calcium, potassium, oxalate and chloride.
Molasses is a chelating agent. An object coated with iron rust placed for two weeks in a mixture of one part molasses to nine parts water will lose its rust due to the chelating action of the molasses
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molasses
I think that's the strangest one yet.

I actually happened to see Indian pudding made today at Durgin Park in Boston. Indian pudding is made with molasses.

Last edited:
  • #1,834
Many think he's fantastic, but he might prefer to be called fabulous.

• #1,835
honestrosewater said:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A613045

I guess I wasn't far off with the dam failure. :rolleyes:

:biggrin:

Also:
The Terror of the Scene
I went to original newspaper articles to find out what it was like. Envision a disaster scene with smashed buildings, overturned vehicles, drowned and crushed victims, and terrified survivors running away covered in molasses. Like the modern-day disasters with which we are unfortunately familiar, there was chaos, terror, buildings in ruins, victims to be dug out, trapped survivors to be rescued, rescue workers among the victims, and anguished families rushing to relief centers to find their relatives. It was like any horrible disaster scene, with the addition that everything was covered in smelly sticky brown molasses.

http://edp.org/bin/molasses77103S.jpg

But get this!
Before the explosion, the tank's owner, U.S. Industrial Alcohol, responded to warnings about structural problems with the tank by painting it brown, making it harder to see the molasses leaking out of the tank. (Stephen Puleo, Dark Tide (Boston: Beacon Press, 2003): 70-71.)
Hours after the explosion, a company lawyer was on the scene falsely blaming others for the disaster. (Ibid, 112-113.)
http://edp.org/molasses.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
  • #1,836
honestrosewater said:
Why, thank you. So are you.

• #1,837
honestrosewater said:

Elton John?

• #1,838
honestrosewater said:
seve ballesteros?

• #1,839
Nope. This guy was in Mallrats.

• #1,840
Rat cave=dogcave

• #1,841
Stan Lee.

• #1,842
hitssquad said:
Stan Lee.

Very nice. I've read that he wanted to call the Fantastic Four the Fabulous Four, but I'm not sure if it's true.

• #1,843
So hitssquad, you are up to post a question.

• #1,844
OK. I need a little while to think.

• #1,845
Beggar the least.

• #1,846
hitssquad said:
Beggar the least.
Is that the clue?

• #1,847
Yes. Its name is alliterate.

• #1,848
Related image: