What are the best textbooks for Real Analysis?

In summary, the conversation revolved around recommendations for undergraduate and introductory graduate analysis textbooks. Kenneth Ross recommended "The Theory of Calculus" by Elementary Analysis for a first analysis class. Rudin suggested "Real Mathematical Analysis" for review, but mentioned it may be difficult for those without prior knowledge in mathematics. Pugh's "Real Mathematical Analysis" was also recommended, but with the caveat that some may not like the writing style. Royden's "Understanding Analysis" was also mentioned as a favorite, with good problems and bridging the gap between undergraduate and graduate analysis. Other recommendations included "Calculus" by Spivak, "An Introduction to Analysis" by Kirkwood, and "Foundations of Mathematical Analysis" by Johnsonbaugh and Pf
SiddharthM
So I just wanted to hear about other people's experiences with undergraduate (and introductory graduate) analysis textbooks. There are the standards and some new great texts as well. Which are your favorite? Recommendations?

Kenneth Ross: The theory of Calculus, Elementary Analysis. Very readable text and some difficult problems (nothing craze though). All in all great for the first analysis class.

Rudin: I'm using this for review. It's very comprehensive, but can be difficult for someone who hasn't read or done hardened mathematics before. Problems are fantastic methinks. Even some treatment of the Lebesgue theory as well!

Real Mathematical Analysis, Pugh - I haven't read through a lot of this one, just a few sections (Cantor Lore is fantastic). Although I have to say I don't like the way he writes math. The selection of problems is golden.

Royden: Probably my favorite analysis textbook. Good problems and bridges the gap from undergraduate to graduate analysis well whereas the 2nd Rudin doesn't so much.

Because I live in third world countries I have purchased most of these for next to nothing: Pugh is the only unavailable in a soft print here in Delhi, the rest cost less than 5 dollars a piece. I even got munkres for that price! To think that some are forced to shell out 130 odd US dollars on a textbook smaller than a novel is NUTTY. The classics are all available online via bittorent for free though (this is VERY illegal but hey so is that mp3 ur listening to).

Physics news on Phys.org
understanding analysis by stephen abbott is supposed to be really good. i just bought softcover calculus by tom apostol from somewhere in asia for 20$ which is supposed to be a good calculus-analysis bridge

I had a good time with:
An Introduction to Analysis (2nd Edition)
by James R. Kirkwood

fairly easy to understand, well worked through proofs, decent problems (some were way too advanced).

Siddhartha,
I am planning to review my Analysis, and was wondering which would be a batter book between Rudin(baby) and Pugh. Can you help me out with the choice - I do not want to sacrifice on rigor. What if any are your grudges with Pugh?

Calculus-Spivak. But this is more about advance calculus.

I just don't like the way Pugh writes mathematics. I say go with both - pugh is around 50$ (im sure u can find it cheaper) and you can get an international edition of Rudin on abebooks for under 30$. Both are very comprehensive but Pugh definitely has MORE stuff and his problem sets are awesome.

www.bigwords.com

In my opinion, Pughs book is the best for content and problems. Rudin is too terse, and his coverage of multivariable analysis is not good. Pugh starts out with dedekind cuts and topology from the start. Rudin doesn't like topology too much, and his book has no pictures, so you can't get an intuitive idea of real analysis when you are first learning it.

rudin is best for those preparing to read higher mathematics but i'd definitely go with pugh for the student with no previous experience in the subject.

1. What is Real Analysis and why is it important?

Real Analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the rigorous study of real numbers and their properties. It is important because it provides the foundation for other areas of mathematics and has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.

2. What are the main topics covered in a textbook for Real Analysis?

A textbook for Real Analysis typically covers topics such as sequences and series, continuity, differentiation, integration, and metric spaces. It may also include topics on multivariable calculus and vector analysis.

3. What are some recommended textbooks for learning Real Analysis?

Some widely used textbooks for Real Analysis include "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" by Walter Rudin, "Real Mathematical Analysis" by Charles Pugh, and "Introduction to Real Analysis" by Robert G. Bartle and Donald R. Sherbert.

4. How can I effectively study from a textbook for Real Analysis?

To effectively study from a textbook for Real Analysis, it is important to read the material carefully, take notes, and work through the examples and exercises provided. It is also helpful to discuss the material with others and seek clarification from the professor or teaching assistant if needed.

5. What are some online resources that can supplement a textbook for Real Analysis?

Some useful online resources for Real Analysis include video lectures, interactive tutorials, and practice problems. Some recommended websites are Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Paul's Online Math Notes.