Can anyone PLEASE explain axis rotation?

In summary, axis rotation refers to the movement of an object or system around an imaginary line called an axis. It is a fundamental concept in understanding the motion of objects and systems in physics, and it has important applications in various fields such as astronomy, engineering, and robotics. The Earth's rotation around its axis affects day and night, seasons, and its magnetic field and mass distribution. The main factors that affect axis rotation are an object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass, which determine its moment of inertia. Axis rotation is also closely related to angular momentum, which is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating. The axis of rotation plays a crucial role in determining the direction and magnitude of an object's angular momentum, with
m0nk3y
So I am asked to rotate by 45 degrees about the y-axis.

With the power of the net i found that it is;
[ cos(45) 0 sin (45);
0 1 0;
-sin(45) 0 cos(45)]

i really would like to understand HOW they get this.

THANKS in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Thank you, that helped alot! I get finally get it now!

1. What is axis rotation?

Axis rotation refers to the movement of an object or system around an imaginary line called an axis. This axis can be fixed or move through space, and the rotation can be either clockwise or counterclockwise.

2. Why is axis rotation important?

Axis rotation is important because it is a fundamental concept in understanding the motion of objects and systems in physics. It is also essential in various fields such as astronomy, engineering, and robotics.

3. How does axis rotation affect the Earth?

The Earth rotates around its axis, which is tilted at an angle of approximately 23.5 degrees. This rotation causes day and night, as well as the changing of seasons. It also affects the Earth's magnetic field and the distribution of its mass, which can impact its orbit around the sun.

4. What factors affect axis rotation?

The main factors that affect axis rotation are the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of an object. These factors determine the object's moment of inertia, which is a measure of its resistance to rotation.

5. How is axis rotation related to angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's tendency to continue rotating. The axis of rotation plays a crucial role in determining the direction and magnitude of an object's angular momentum. An object with a fixed axis of rotation will have a constant angular momentum, while an object with a changing axis of rotation will have a changing angular momentum.