Mag of impulse required to change speed question.

In summary, the problem is to determine the magnitude of the impulse required to increase the speed of a proton from 0.995c to 0.998c, with the given mass of 1.7x10^-27 kg. The equation used was (momentumfinal)=(momentuminitial) + Fnet*(changeintime), but the answer obtained was incorrect. It is suggested to consider relativistic momentum when dealing with such high speeds.
Coletrain12

Homework Statement

A proton has mass 1.7x10-27 kg. What is the magnitude of the impulse required in the direction of motion to increase its speed from 0.995c to 0.998c? Where c is the speed of light.

Homework Equations

Im not quite sure of what equation is supposed to be used. I tried using (momentumfinal)=(momentuminitial) + Fnet*(changeintime)

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok my attempt at the problem is the only way i can think of it and the answer is still wrong. I first multiplied the speeds by the mass to get a momentum. Then used the two momentums and plugged them into the equation above and solved for Fnet*(changintime) which equals Impulse if I am not mistaken. I got the number 1.53e-21 for my answer.

The only problems i can think of is maybe those speeds are speeds(needs to be velocity).. and can't multiply by the mass to get a momentum but i don't see why that would cause a problem. Overall I am stumped on this problem and not sure why what I've done doesn't work. I even have talked to others in the class and no one can figure it out.

Thanks for all the help in advance guys.

Physics news on Phys.org
Considering how high the speed of the particle is, I wonder if you have to consider relativistic momentum?

Yes, 0.995c is definitely relativistic. mv will not work for calculating momentum.

1. What is the definition of "mag of impulse"?

The magnitude of impulse is the product of the average force applied to an object and the time interval over which the force is applied. It is a measure of the change in momentum of an object.

2. How is the mag of impulse calculated?

The mag of impulse can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time interval over which it is applied. The equation for impulse is J = F * Δt, where J is the mag of impulse, F is the force, and Δt is the time interval.

3. Why is the mag of impulse important in changing speed?

The mag of impulse is important in changing speed because it is directly related to the change in momentum of an object. In order to change an object's speed, its momentum must also change, and this change in momentum is represented by the mag of impulse.

4. How does the mag of impulse affect the speed of an object?

The mag of impulse affects the speed of an object by changing its momentum. According to Newton's second law of motion, the change in an object's momentum is directly proportional to the applied force and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, a larger mag of impulse will result in a greater change in momentum and a larger change in speed.

5. What units are used to measure the mag of impulse?

The units for mag of impulse are newton-seconds (N*s) in the SI system and pound-seconds (lb*s) in the imperial system. These units represent the force applied to an object multiplied by the time interval over which it is applied.