Calculating Free Fall: Water Balloon Question | Math Homework Help

In summary: From the information given, the water balloon will take approximately 4.8 seconds to fall to the ground. During this time, the professor will have walked 1.98 meters, putting him just 12 cm away from the point where the balloon hits the ground. Therefore, the balloon will come very close to hitting the professor, but not actually hit him.
hershey1

Homework Statement

A student at a window on the second floor of a dorm sees his math professor walking on the sidewalk beside the building. He drops a water balloon from 18.0 m above the ground when the prof is 1.00 m from the point directly beneath the window. The professor is 170 cm tall and walks at a rate of 0.450 m/s. How close does the balloon come to hitting the professor?

Homework Equations

y=v0t + 1/2gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the displacement to be 16.3 m from subtracting the distance of the building from the man's height. Using the formula, I calculated the time to be 3.3 seconds. This would say that the prof will not be hit by the water balloon since the prof would have walked only 82 cm by then. My answer was 18 cm but it was wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hershey1 said:

Homework Statement

A student at a window on the second floor of a dorm sees his math professor walking on the sidewalk beside the building. He drops a water balloon from 18.0 m above the ground when the prof is 1.00 m from the point directly beneath the window. The professor is 170 cm tall and walks at a rate of 0.450 m/s. How close does the balloon come to hitting the professor?

Homework Equations

y=v0t + 1/2gt^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the displacement to be 16.3 m from subtracting the distance of the building from the man's height. Using the formula, I calculated the time to be 0.82 seconds. This would say that the prof will not be hit by the water balloon. My answer was 18 cm but it was wrong.
Welcome to PF hershey1,

You may want to recheck your calculation of the flight time.

I would like to clarify that the calculation for the time of the water balloon's fall is correct, but the distance the professor walks in that time is incorrect. The professor walks at a rate of 0.450 m/s, so in 3.3 seconds, he would have walked a distance of 1.485 m, which is significantly more than the 82 cm calculated. Therefore, the water balloon would come closer to hitting the professor than initially thought. To determine the exact distance, we would need to use the equation for horizontal displacement, x=v0t, where x is the horizontal distance, v0 is the initial velocity (which in this case is 0), and t is the time. This would give us a horizontal displacement of 1.485 m. We can then use the Pythagorean theorem to find the distance between the balloon and the professor, which would be approximately 16.4 m. Therefore, the balloon would come within approximately 16.4 m of hitting the professor.

What is free fall?

Free fall is a term used in physics to describe the motion of an object falling under the sole influence of gravity. This means that the object is not being acted upon by any other forces, such as air resistance or friction.

What is the acceleration of an object in free fall?

The acceleration of an object in free fall is always equal to the acceleration due to gravity, which is approximately 9.8 meters per second squared on Earth. This means that the object's downward velocity will increase by 9.8 meters per second every second it falls.

Does an object's mass affect its acceleration in free fall?

No, an object's mass does not affect its acceleration in free fall. This is because the force of gravity acts equally on all objects, regardless of their mass. However, a heavier object will experience a greater force of gravity, which can affect the object's speed as it falls.

How does air resistance affect free fall?

Air resistance can affect the speed and acceleration of an object in free fall. As an object falls, it encounters air molecules which can create a force that opposes the object's motion. This can cause the object to reach a terminal velocity, where the force of air resistance is equal to the force of gravity, and the object stops accelerating.

What is the difference between free fall and free fall acceleration?

Free fall refers to the motion of an object falling under the influence of gravity, while free fall acceleration specifically refers to the constant acceleration of an object in free fall. This means that while an object is in free fall, its acceleration will always be equal to the acceleration due to gravity, regardless of its initial speed or position.