How to transfer cold energy instead of heat?

In summary, the concept is to use a peltier thermoelectric module to transfer cold energy instead of heat by using a heatsink on the cold side and blowing air over it to create a cold breeze. This can be done by continually cycling the cold air into the enclosure, back to the cold side heatsink, and then back into the enclosure. However, it is important to note that cold can only be created by removing heat, and cannot be radiated like heat can.
nution
How to transfer "cold" energy instead of heat?

My question is pretty basic. I am looking to radiate cold with the same concept of heat dissipation. For example on a peltier thermoelectric module gets hot on one side and cold on the other. A heatsink will help dissipate the heat from the hot side, but could I also add a heatsink to the cold side, blow air over it and feel a cold breeze? Or does cold not work through a heatsink the same way? I'm sure it does to some effect but is that the most efficient way u think? Any help would be greatly appreciated

Science news on Phys.org

The heat sink could transfer the cold temp to the passing air cooling it down and warming your cold surface through conduction. However radiation only works one way, it reduces the temperature by radiating the energy away in EM waves.

I have a little enclosure that I need to drop the inside temperature of somewhat considerably. My idea is to blow this cold air through the heatsink on the cold side into the enclosure and pull cycle the inside air out of the inclosure and through the hot side heatsink to dissipate the heat coming off the hot side and out into the open air. Like an exhaust. Just trying to make sure the cold side heatsink would actually transmit that cold through it and transfer it by blowing air through it. I just didn't know for sure if air over a cold heatsink would actually transfer efficiently. Or if there was some other more efficient way of pulling the "cold" coming off the flat surface of the peltier chip and into the enclosure.

Other than cold simply being a lack of heat and not a quantity in itself, meaning you cannot "radiate" cold like you can heat, your idea is sound. It is exactly how any AC unit works. The blower sends air over the coils which are much cooler than the air and absorb heat, cooling the air and hence your house or car or whatever.

nution said:
I have a little enclosure that I need to drop the inside temperature of somewhat considerably. My idea is to blow this cold air through the heatsink on the cold side into the enclosure and pull cycle the inside air out of the inclosure and through the hot side heatsink to dissipate the heat coming off the hot side and out into the open air. Like an exhaust. Just trying to make sure the cold side heatsink would actually transmit that cold through it and transfer it by blowing air through it. I just didn't know for sure if air over a cold heatsink would actually transfer efficiently. Or if there was some other more efficient way of pulling the "cold" coming off the flat surface of the peltier chip and into the enclosure.

It might be more efficient to continually cycle the cold air into the enclosure, back to the cold side heat sink, and then back into the enclosure.

That's more or less how I have it in my head so I'm glad you said it.

I appreciate you guys weighing in. Hopefully this little setup can get the desired results. I guess all I'm making in the end is a tiny airconditioner :)

nution said:
That's more or less how I have it in my head so I'm glad you said it.

I appreciate you guys weighing in. Hopefully this little setup can get the desired results. I guess all I'm making in the end is a tiny airconditioner :)

Yep!

1. How can cold energy be transferred instead of heat?

Cold energy can be transferred instead of heat by using a process called refrigeration, which involves removing heat from a substance through a compressor and transferring it to the surrounding environment.

2. What is the most efficient way to transfer cold energy?

The most efficient way to transfer cold energy is through a process called thermoelectric cooling, which uses a thermoelectric module to create a temperature gradient and transfer heat from one side to the other.

3. Can cold energy be transferred without using electricity?

Yes, cold energy can be transferred without using electricity through a process called evaporative cooling, which involves using the evaporation of a liquid to cool the surrounding environment.

4. What materials are commonly used to transfer cold energy?

Materials commonly used to transfer cold energy include refrigerants such as ammonia and freon, as well as thermoelectric materials like bismuth telluride and lead telluride.

5. How does the transfer of cold energy affect the environment?

The transfer of cold energy can have both positive and negative effects on the environment. While it can be used to cool and preserve food and other perishable items, it can also contribute to environmental issues such as ozone depletion and global warming if not managed properly.