How to induce a minimal subgraph

• Thread starter cynthiaj
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the goal of creating a connected subgraph from a subset of nodes in an undirected graph. The speaker wants to minimize the number of extra nodes outside the subset while maximizing the connectivity between nodes within the subset. They ask if there is a way to accomplish this and if there is an algorithm to obtain such a subgraph.
cynthiaj
I have a undirected graph G and a subset S of nodes from G. If I only do vertex-induced subgraph for S, this subgraph might not be connected. What I want to do is to include as few as possible extra nodes outside S, and make as most as possible nodes in S are connected pairwisely through a path. Is there any way to accomplish this?

Thank you very much

Mathematics news on Phys.org
cynthiaj said:
Is there any way to accomplish this?

I'm not a graph theorist, but I think you should clarify what it means to accomplish your goal. Are you asking whether there is an algorithm to construct the required subgraph? - or are you asking whether there is a theoretical argrument that the required subgraph exists?

Stephen Tashi said:
I'm not a graph theorist, but I think you should clarify what it means to accomplish your goal. Are you asking whether there is an algorithm to construct the required subgraph? - or are you asking whether there is a theoretical argrument that the required subgraph exists?
I would like to know whether such subgraph exists or not. If it does exist, is there an algorithm to obtain this subgraph

1. What is a minimal subgraph?

A minimal subgraph is a subset of a larger graph that contains the minimum number of edges necessary to maintain connectivity between all of its nodes.

2. Why would someone want to induce a minimal subgraph?

Inducing a minimal subgraph can be useful in simplifying a complex graph, reducing computational complexity, or identifying key components of a larger network.

3. How do you induce a minimal subgraph?

To induce a minimal subgraph, you can use algorithms such as the greedy algorithm or the Bron-Kerbosch algorithm. These algorithms iteratively remove edges or nodes from the original graph until a minimal subgraph is obtained.

4. Can a minimal subgraph have multiple disconnected components?

Yes, a minimal subgraph can have multiple disconnected components as long as each component maintains connectivity between its nodes.

5. What applications can benefit from using minimal subgraphs?

Minimal subgraphs can be useful in a variety of applications such as network optimization, social network analysis, and identifying key players in a network. They can also be applied in computer science and data analytics to simplify complex data structures.