Chordal graphs and perfect elimination orderings

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of chordal graphs and their characteristics. It is established that a graph is chordal if and only if it has a Perfect Elimination Scheme/Ordering (PES) or every induced subgraph of the graph has a simplicial vertex. The conversation also explores a direct proof and a proof by contradiction to show that these two statements are equivalent. It is concluded that a graph has a PES if and only if every induced subgraph has a simplicial vertex.
mathgirl1
1. G is chordal iff G has a Perfect Elimination Scheme/Ordering (PES)
2. G is chordal iff every induced subgraph H of G has a simplicial vertex in H.

I want to show directly (ie, don't use the above) to show that G has a PES iff every induced subgraph H of G has a simplicial vertex.

(->) Assume G has \(\displaystyle PES = [v_1, v_2, ..., v_n]\) By definition every \(\displaystyle v_i\) is simplicial in the graph \(\displaystyle H=G[v_i, v_{i+1}, ... v_n]\) (ie H = the graph induced by the vertices \(\displaystyle v_i, v_{i+1}, ... ,v_n\) in G). I need to show that given any subset of PES, say \(\displaystyle H = G[x_1, x_2, ..., x_m] \) that this graph has a simplicial vertex. I'm pretty sure that this needs to be done BWOC. If each graph didn't have a simplicial vertex then there wouldn't be a PES ordering. But I'm not exactly sure how to show this. It seems so simple and direct and I'm stuck. I guess I need the why this is true and I'm missing it. But anyway, I would assume there exists an induced subgraph H that doesn't have a simplicial vertex, then there wouldn't be a PES for this particular subgraph. But how do I extend that to say there wouldn't be a PES for all of G?

(<-) Assume every induced subgraph H of G has a simplicial vertex and show that G has a PES. Again, I'm pretty sure to do this by contradiction but it seems too simple to say that if each subgraph has a simplicial vertex and but G doesn't have a PES then this contradicts that each subgraph has simplicial vertex. This direction may actually be this easy but I still feel like I'm missing something simply obvious. I know there has to be more bulk to this proof! Help! I'm going in circles and getting no where.

Any help is appreciated! Thank you so much! I typically struggle with the simple (and probably obvious) ones.

Physics news on Phys.org
A:(->) Assume $G$ has PES = [v_1, v_2, ..., v_n]. We need to show that given any subset of PES, say $H = G[x_1, x_2, ..., x_m]$, this graph has a simplicial vertex. Let $H=G[x_1, x_2, ..., x_m]$ be an induced subgraph of $G$. Since $G$ has PES, there exists some $i$ such that $x_1,x_2,...,x_m \in \{v_i,v_{i+1},...,v_n\}$. That is, there is some $v_j$ in the PES of $G$ that is also in $H$. Since $v_j$ is simplicial in $G$, then it is also simplicial in $H$. Therefore, every induced subgraph of $G$ has a simplicial vertex.(<-) Assume every induced subgraph $H$ of $G$ has a simplicial vertex. We need to show that $G$ has a PES. We will prove this by induction on the number of vertices in $G$.Base Case: Let $G$ be a graph with one vertex, $v$. Then $G$ has an empty set of edges and so $v$ is a simplicial vertex. Thus, $G$ has a PES consisting of just $v$.Inductive Step: Let $G$ be a graph with $n$ vertices and suppose that every graph with $n-1$ vertices has a PES. Let $u$ be a simplicial vertex in $G$. Then $G\backslash u$ has $n-1$ vertices and so by the inductive hypothesis, $G\backslash u$ has a PES, say $P=\{v_1,v_2,...,v_{n-1}\}$. Then $P \cup \{u\}$ is a PES for $G$. Thus, $G$ has a PES. Therefore, by induction, every graph $G$ has a PES.

1. What is a chordal graph?

A chordal graph is a type of graph in which every cycle of length four or more has a chord, which is an edge connecting two non-consecutive vertices of the cycle. This means that any two vertices that are not directly connected by an edge must have a common neighbor.

2. What is a perfect elimination ordering?

A perfect elimination ordering is a sequence of vertices in a chordal graph such that each vertex in the graph is either adjacent to all the vertices that come before it in the sequence or it is adjacent to none of them. This type of ordering is useful in algorithms for chordal graphs, as it can be used to efficiently find certain properties of the graph.

3. How are chordal graphs and perfect elimination orderings related?

A chordal graph can be recognized by finding a perfect elimination ordering for the graph. This is because a graph is chordal if and only if it has a perfect elimination ordering. Furthermore, a perfect elimination ordering can be used to efficiently find a variety of properties of a chordal graph.

4. What are some applications of chordal graphs and perfect elimination orderings?

Chordal graphs and perfect elimination orderings have many applications in various fields, including computer science, operations research, and bioinformatics. They can be used to model and solve problems related to scheduling, network optimization, and genome sequencing, to name a few.

5. How can I efficiently find a perfect elimination ordering for a given chordal graph?

There are several algorithms that can be used to find a perfect elimination ordering for a chordal graph, such as the Lex-BFS algorithm, the Minimum-Fill algorithm, and the Maximum Cardinality Search algorithm. These algorithms have different time complexities and performance depending on the characteristics of the graph, so it is important to choose the most appropriate one for a given graph.