Building a Thermal Energy Storage System: What Additive Can I Use?

In summary, The speaker is working on a thermal energy storage system using water as a phase change material. The freezing process initiates at -12 C, but the speaker needs to add additives to raise the freezing point back to 0 C. Silver Iodide cannot be used and the speaker is looking into glycol-based additives or salts like calcium chloride or magnesium chloride.
alexwin_75
im working on building a simple thermal energy storage system...im using water as phase change material.The PCM will be injected into spherical capsules and dropped into a storage tank.Now my problem is that the freezing process initiates only at arnd -12 C.Remember it is under pressure..
Though I am not filling the capsule completely.I need to add some quantity of additives to raise the freezing point of water and get it back to 0 c...
Silver Iodide i cannot use since the solution cannot be properly injected into
my spherical capsules...any ideas?
what additive should i add ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered using glycol-based additives? Glycols are often used as antifreeze, and they can be injected into spherical capsules. They work by lowering the freezing point of the water and making it easier to store in a liquid state. You can also look into calcium chloride or magnesium chloride. These are both salts that can be used to raise the freezing point of water.

There are several additives that can be used to raise the freezing point of water and allow it to be used as a phase change material in a thermal energy storage system. Some common options include salt (such as sodium chloride or calcium chloride), ethylene glycol, and propylene glycol. These additives can be easily injected into the spherical capsules and will raise the freezing point of the water, allowing it to be used at higher temperatures. However, it is important to carefully consider the properties and potential effects of each additive before making a decision. For example, salt can be corrosive and may require additional maintenance, while ethylene glycol and propylene glycol are toxic and must be handled with care. It may also be helpful to consult with a chemical engineer or conduct further research to determine the best additive for your specific system and needs.

1. What is a thermal energy storage system and why is it important?

A thermal energy storage system is a method of storing energy in the form of heat for later use. It is important because it allows for the efficient use of renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power, by storing excess energy for use during times of high demand or when the renewable source is not available.

2. How does a thermal energy storage system work?

A thermal energy storage system works by using an additive, such as salt, to increase the melting point of a material, such as water. This allows the heat generated from the renewable energy source to be stored in the form of the material's latent heat, and then released when needed by allowing the material to solidify and release the stored heat.

3. What are some common additives used in thermal energy storage systems?

Some common additives used in thermal energy storage systems include salt, paraffin, and phase change materials (PCM) such as fatty acids or hydrated salts. These additives have high latent heat capacities and can increase the melting point of water, making them effective for storing thermal energy.

4. What factors should be considered when choosing an additive for a thermal energy storage system?

When choosing an additive for a thermal energy storage system, factors such as cost, availability, and compatibility with the system components should be considered. The melting point and latent heat capacity of the additive are also important factors to ensure efficient energy storage and release.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to using additives in a thermal energy storage system?

Yes, there can be potential drawbacks to using additives in a thermal energy storage system. These may include corrosion of system components, reduced efficiency due to the added weight of the additive, and potential environmental impacts. It is important to carefully consider these factors when selecting an additive for a thermal energy storage system.