Should I Use a Recruitment/Temp Agency to Find Work?

• Thread starter StarSoup
  • Start date
In summary, the temp agency seems pretty reputable, and they do seem to be able to place people quickly, but I'm a little hesitant to pay for an opportunity that may not pan out.
StarSoup
Recruitment/Temp Agencies?

Hello,
I posted awhile back about not being able to find a job, I'm still in that same boat.

Background: I graduated 6 months ago with a Chemical Engineering degree. Good 3.4 GPA, I've done 2 internships, very sociable, outgoing, blah blah blah...

Im havin a heck of a time finding work. I've applied to millions of online apps, I've tried networking with previous and new contacts and attending career events. I am not really getting anywhere though.

Ive decided to start pursuing low paying grunt work within my target industries to get a foot in the door. I was checking out my state government's online job board and there's currently tons of temporary lab, technician, and grunt jobs posted in the industries I'm interested in. However, every posting says, in order to apply I need to visit an office of this local temp agency. In addition, I was actually recently contacted randomly by a another agency and asked if I was interested in a temporary lab job with a pharmacy company.

I've always felt kind of wary of employment agencies. Should I try it out? Could anyone who has used one share their experiences? Can they actually find you work quickly as they promise? I already know to stay away from any that charge fees upfront, but is there any other catch I should be aware of?

Thanks for any insights.

Physics news on Phys.org
At one point when I was in college, I ran out of money and had to stop taking classes and get a full time job. I used a temp agency, and after a few lousy placements I found a really great place to work. Many other temps worked there too, mostly young people who had just graduated. About half of us ended up getting full-time, well-paying jobs there.

The company even paid for most of my remaining classes to graduate!

So, my experience with temp work was very good. I think some companies use temp agencies to try out employees to see if they are a good fit, before making a commitment. Makes sense, you can only learn so much about an employee through the interview process.

Btw, it goes both ways - you will learn fairly quickly if you want to work for a particular company, or move on to find a better fit.

Credible temporary agencies can be a valuable tool. My older daughter used one when she first started college and landed some very nice jobs, and yes, she, like lisab, was offered permanent employment. It just wasn't what she wanted to do as a living though. She has the job she wants now.

Are you willing to relocate? One of the mistakes many people make is to restrict where they are willing to work. You have to be willing to go where the jobs are

Also, keep networking, in the department I worked in, positions were only filled through personal referrals, we never hired "off the street".

Last edited:
StarSoup said:
Hello,
I posted awhile back about not being able to find a job, I'm still in that same boat.

Background: I graduated 6 months ago with a Chemical Engineering degree. Good 3.4 GPA, I've done 2 internships, very sociable, outgoing, blah blah blah...

Im havin a heck of a time finding work. I've applied to millions of online apps, I've tried networking with previous and new contacts and attending career events. I am not really getting anywhere though.

Ive decided to start pursuing low paying grunt work within my target industries to get a foot in the door. I was checking out my state government's online job board and there's currently tons of temporary lab, technician, and grunt jobs posted in the industries I'm interested in. However, every posting says, in order to apply I need to visit an office of this local temp agency. In addition, I was actually recently contacted randomly by a another agency and asked if I was interested in a temporary lab job with a pharmacy company.

I've always felt kind of wary of employment agencies. Should I try it out? Could anyone who has used one share their experiences? Can they actually find you work quickly as they promise? I already know to stay away from any that charge fees upfront, but is there any other catch I should be aware of?

Thanks for any insights.
Has one tried the American Institute of Chemical Engineers?
http://www.aiche.org/

http://www.aiche.org/resources/member-services
http://www.aiche.org/resources/careers
http://www.aiche.org/resources/careers/networking-opportunities-career-tools

Usually one's department would probably have some contacts.

Thanks for the replies. I think I'll go ahead and give it a shot. I believe this particular one receives some state funding so I would hope they hold a good standard.

And yup, I'm willing to relocate. I've applied to tons of out of state positions. However, it just seems pretty difficult to make out of state connections. I imagine most states graduate a few hundred engineers each school year. It's hard to stand out as a non-local candidate without much experience. I live on the west coast though, and between WA, OR, and CA there's a ton of high-tech industry so I should be able to get something over here.

Thats a good idea too Astronuc. I'm also scheduling an appointment with my departments career adviser. I'll email some professors too and see if they'll meet with me.

Thanks

There's plenty of biotech in San Diego.

I personally think most recruiters are full of crap when it comes to professional jobs. Sure they can find you work on an assembly line.

The two jobs I have gotten through temp agencies were because my resume fit their needs exactly so they called me out of the blue. The places that have you come in and fill out an app with no specific client in mind are just looking to pad their resume database. Remember, recruiters are basically used car salesmen/pimps and it is okay to be firm but polite with them.

If you can't find exactly what you want, take the next closest thing to get your foot in the door. Opportunities will most always present themselves if you're a good worker. The worst thing you can do is take a job that's unrelated to your chosen field. I know how rough it is but I got to say, persistence is key.

Jupiter6 said:
I personally think most recruiters are full of crap when it comes to professional jobs. Sure they can find you work on an assembly line.

The two jobs I have gotten through temp agencies were because my resume fit their needs exactly so they called me out of the blue. The places that have you come in and fill out an app with no specific client in mind are just looking to pad their resume database. Remember, recruiters are basically used car salesmen/pimps and it is okay to be firm but polite with them.

If you can't find exactly what you want, take the next closest thing to get your foot in the door. Opportunities will most always present themselves if you're a good worker. The worst thing you can do is take a job that's unrelated to your chosen field. I know how rough it is but I got to say, persistence is key.
Recruiters and temporary agencies are two different things. Temp agencies get requests from companies for a skilled person to fill a "temporary" position, that doesn't meant that the person hired for a temp position might not get an opportunity to get a permanent job, if one opens up.

Recruiters or "headhunters' as they are often referred to try to find qualified "Full time" candidates for usually managerial positions. The better headhunters will have a contract with the hiring company to bring them experienced people that already meet the criteria of the hiring company for a specific position.

Of course there are a lot of so called "recruiters" that don't actually have positions to fill, they are just trying to collect a herd of names in the hopes that a job comes along that one of their herd might land and they can collect the finder's fee.

You should be aware of which recruiters are legitimate in your field. Getting on the radar of a legitimate recruitment firm can be very valuable.

Evo said:
Recruiters and temporary agencies are two different things. Temp agencies get requests from companies for a skilled person to fill a "temporary" position, that doesn't meant that the person hired for a temp position might not get an opportunity to get a permanent job, if one opens up.

Recruiters or "headhunters' as they are often referred to try to find qualified "Full time" candidates for usually managerial positions. The better headhunters will have a contract with the hiring company to bring them experienced people that already meet the criteria of the hiring company for a specific position.

Of course there are a lot of so called "recruiters" that don't actually have positions to fill, they are just trying to collect a herd of names in the hopes that a job comes along that one of their herd might land and they can collect the finder's fee.

You should be aware of which recruiters are legitimate in your field. Getting on the radar of a legitimate recruitment firm can be very valuable.

Actually, people called recruiters and head hunters also place people into contract/temp positions.

Physics_UG said:
Actually, people called recruiters and head hunters also place people into contract/temp positions.
But not often, because that's not how they make their money.

Jupiter6 said:

Really? Which profession is it you're finding they aren't helpful for? Recruiters are certainly very common and reasonably useful in my profession and my wife's profession (actuarial/health professional).

Evo said:
But not often, because that's not how they make their money.

Recruiters/head hunters make a lot of money hiring contractors/temps. Every hour a contractor works the contract house gets a sizable commission. I have been working with contract houses for a while. Generally, these recruiters don't have a choice in which positions to fill and how they get paid.

Locrian said:
Really? Which profession is it you're finding they aren't helpful for? Recruiters are certainly very common and reasonably useful in my profession and my wife's profession (actuarial/health professional).

I am an engineer and it seems most positions for engineers are hired as contractors recruited by headhunters. These were all very high paying positions.

Evo said:

I think "staffing agency" is a more descriptive term these days. They can deal in temp work, contract-to-hire and direct placement positions. In temp work, the agency is your employer and get's a cut of your hourly pay with no mention of actually being hired by the company. Contract-to-hire is the same way but the idea is you'll be hired by the company eventually if they like you. Direct placement is where the agency gets the finders fee and you're hired by the company on day 1. More and more companies are using staffing agencies to "try out" potential employees because it's cheaper with less risk. It also gives the HR people more time to do nothing:biggrin:

Sure, there are "headhunters" who do nothing but direct placements in distinct professions but this is not the norm and someone fresh out of college will not be dealing with a headhunter like this.

Locrian said:

Engineering. When I was fresh out of school, I had better luck with careerbuilder and monster than I did with recruiters.

Jupiter6 said:
I think "staffing agency" is a more descriptive term these days. They can deal in temp work, contract-to-hire and direct placement positions. In temp work, the agency is your employer and get's a cut of your hourly pay with no mention of actually being hired by the company. Contract-to-hire is the same way but the idea is you'll be hired by the company eventually if they like you. Direct placement is where the agency gets the finders fee and you're hired by the company on day 1. More and more companies are using staffing agencies to "try out" potential employees because it's cheaper with less risk. It also gives the HR people more time to do nothing:biggrin:

Sure, there are "headhunters" who do nothing but direct placements in distinct professions but this is not the norm and someone fresh out of college will not be dealing with a headhunter like this.

Engineering. When I was fresh out of school, I had better luck with careerbuilder and monster than I did with recruiters.

All of my jobs out of college have been via recruiters. I've never had any luck applying directly to companies on career builder.

Related to Should I Use a Recruitment/Temp Agency to Find Work?

1. What is a recruitment/temp agency?

A recruitment/temp agency is a company that helps organizations find and hire employees on a temporary or permanent basis. These agencies typically have a database of qualified candidates and can match them with job openings from their client companies.

2. What are the benefits of using a recruitment/temp agency?

There are several benefits to using a recruitment/temp agency. These include saving time and resources in the hiring process, accessing a larger pool of qualified candidates, and having the agency handle administrative tasks such as screening and background checks.

3. How do recruitment/temp agencies find candidates?

Recruitment/temp agencies use various methods to find candidates, including job postings, referrals, and actively searching for potential candidates on job boards and social media. Some agencies also have partnerships with educational institutions or career centers to find qualified candidates.

4. What types of positions do recruitment/temp agencies typically fill?

Recruitment/temp agencies can fill a wide range of positions, from entry-level to executive roles. These positions can be in various industries such as healthcare, finance, technology, and more. The types of positions filled depend on the expertise and specialization of the agency.

5. How does the recruitment/temp agency process work?

The process may vary depending on the agency, but typically it involves the following steps:

• The client company shares their job requirements and needs with the agency.
  • The agency searches for and screens potential candidates based on the job requirements.
  • The agency presents a shortlist of qualified candidates to the client company.
  • The client company interviews and selects the candidate they want to hire.
  • The agency handles the administrative tasks and employment paperwork.
  • The candidate is hired and begins working at the client company.