A Career in Engineering Analysis vs Design

In summary, a career in design making stuff or analysis (performing FEA, CFD etc on designs) doesn't seem to have a clear distinction. It depends on the company you work for and the skillset of the individual.
koab1mjr
I was hoping to get some perspective from practicing engineers on the difference of a career in design making stuff, or analysis ( performing FEA, CFD etc on designs). I am in a rotational program and have some flexiblity. I ask because it appears these are divergent choices and going down one path will close the door on the other. Any opinions would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I personally haven't seen a difference career wise if you are in aerospace. For example as part of a design that modifies an aircraft structure the models built for the design are used to perform FAE on the structural, thermal, etc impacts of the change. Those results are rolled into design changes/improvements. But the same engineers doing the design are the same ones doing the analysis.

That being said I do not have experience with massive development projects like designing a complete aircraft. In that case there very well be a group that just does modeling/analysis being fed data by the design group.

So I guess my summary is that if you are a mechanical or aerospace engineer I would expect you to have experience with FEA/CFD analysis regardless if you are a design engineer or if you end up doing strictly modeling/analysis. I don't know if the career fields are segmented so that there is really a hard distinction in industry.

Ok, that is good to know. I would think that a design engineer would need to do both but in my company it appears to be seperate. I have been reading of software developers trying to make the analysis process easier so it can be folded into the design process more. I personally would like to have my hand in both pots but it appears that is a company to company difference. I may need to go to a smaller operation.

Do you think on skill is more portable than the other? Once you design an Aerospace part can those principles be used to design something else in a different industry more or less. I feel analysis is analysis which is the direction i am leaning. I am in the power industry by i may want to switch in the future and would prefer something that keeps my options open.

If you stay in school after your bachelors, you'll get classes geared more towards analysis rather than actual design.

I think the smaller the company you work for, the more you'll be expected to design and carry out the rudimentary FE analyses. If you choose to work at a large company there is a real possibility that you'll be pigeonholed into one or the other. It's rare to meet a good design engineer who also has graduate level FEA theory under his belt.

I understand the importance of both engineering analysis and design in any engineering career. While both paths may seem divergent, they are actually closely intertwined and necessary for successful engineering projects.

Design is the process of creating solutions to problems, while analysis is the evaluation and testing of those solutions. In a career in design, you will have the opportunity to use your creativity and problem-solving skills to come up with innovative solutions to real-world problems. This can be a fulfilling and rewarding career path, as you will see your ideas come to life and make a tangible impact on the world.

On the other hand, a career in engineering analysis allows you to use your technical skills to evaluate and improve upon designs. This involves using tools such as FEA (finite element analysis) and CFD (computational fluid dynamics) to simulate and test designs before they are implemented. This is a crucial step in the engineering process, as it helps identify potential flaws and improve the overall performance and safety of the design.

While these may seem like two distinct career paths, it is important to note that they often overlap and complement each other. In fact, many engineers have experience in both design and analysis, as it allows them to have a well-rounded understanding of the engineering process.

In terms of career opportunities, both design and analysis roles are in high demand in various industries such as aerospace, automotive, and manufacturing. It ultimately comes down to your personal interests and strengths, as well as the specific needs of the industry you wish to work in.

Overall, my advice would be to gain experience in both design and analysis, as it will provide you with a well-rounded skillset and open up more opportunities for your future career. The most successful engineers are those who can think creatively and analytically, and having experience in both areas will make you a valuable asset in any engineering team.

1. What is the difference between engineering analysis and design?

Engineering analysis involves using mathematical and scientific principles to evaluate the performance and feasibility of a design. Design, on the other hand, focuses on creating a product or system that meets specific requirements and solves a problem. In simpler terms, analysis is the process of understanding a problem, while design is the process of solving it.

2. What skills are necessary for a career in engineering analysis?

Some of the key skills needed for a career in engineering analysis include a strong foundation in mathematics and physics, critical thinking and problem-solving abilities, attention to detail, and proficiency in using relevant software and tools for data analysis and modeling.

3. Is an engineering analysis career more suited for someone with a technical background?

While having a technical background can be helpful, it is not a requirement for a career in engineering analysis. Many engineers come from diverse backgrounds, and with the right education and training, anyone can build a successful career in this field.

4. How does design factor into the engineering analysis process?

Design plays a crucial role in the engineering analysis process. Engineers use their design skills to create a solution that meets the requirements and constraints identified during the analysis phase. The design is then tested and refined through analysis to ensure it meets performance and safety standards.

5. What industries or fields can I work in as an engineering analyst?

The demand for engineering analysts is high in various industries, including aerospace, automotive, construction, electronics, energy, and manufacturing. You can also specialize in a specific area, such as structural analysis, thermal analysis, or computational fluid dynamics, to work in a particular field or industry.