Which type of class really is harder?

In summary, the conversation discusses the options of online and offline math classes offered by the speaker's college. The speaker prefers online classes due to the flexibility it offers with completing homework and tests. They have had success with online classes and have found them to be manageable with their work schedule. The difficulty of a course is subjective and depends on individual work ethic and self-discipline. The speaker's instructors have mentioned that online courses tend to be harder, possibly due to the lack of easily asking questions. However, the speaker has found the online courses to be suitable for their workaholic nature. Ultimately, the choice between online and offline classes should be based on personal preference and awareness of the advantages and disadvantages.
Tyrion101
My college offers both online and offline math classes. I'm to the point now, where the math classes offered online are fewer, I need I believe up to calculus. I like the setup of online because I work like most people, and it gives me a week to complete homework and tests, rather than 2 days to do a homework assignment. I spend the vast majority of my time working on either the homework or studying, when I am not at work. I've gotten 2 A's and 1 undecided (high B is possible, low A is as well) The teachers have often said that the online classes are harder than offline. Is that true? I've found the online courses if not easy, well within my workaholic nature.

Physics news on Phys.org
The difficulty of a course and the modality through which it is presented is highly subjective.

Your instructors may have noted that on average students tend to do worse with online courses, where it is quite possible that individual work ethic and self-discipline plays a stronger role in the outcome. Or they may be referring to the fact that in the online courses you can't ask questions as readily.

If you're personally finding you prefer the online courses and they're working for you then go with that. Be aware of the advantages and disadvantages but don't let someone else force a subjective opinion on you.

1. What is the difference between a traditional classroom and an online class?

The main difference between a traditional classroom and an online class is the format in which the material is delivered. In a traditional classroom, students attend lectures and participate in discussions in person, while online classes are conducted entirely over the internet.

2. Which type of class typically has a heavier workload?

It is difficult to determine which type of class has a heavier workload as it can vary depending on the subject, instructor, and individual student's learning style. However, online classes may require students to be more self-motivated and disciplined in completing assignments and studying on their own.

3. Are online classes easier than traditional classes?

The level of difficulty for online and traditional classes can vary, and it ultimately depends on the student's learning style and the instructor's teaching style. Some students may find online classes easier because they have more control over their schedule and can work at their own pace, while others may struggle with the lack of in-person interaction and accountability.

4. Is it harder to learn in an online setting?

Learning in an online setting can be challenging for some students who thrive in a traditional classroom environment. However, online learning also offers flexibility and the ability to customize the learning experience, which can benefit students who struggle in a traditional classroom setting.

5. Can I succeed in a class if it is not my preferred learning style?

Yes, it is possible to succeed in a class that is not your preferred learning style. It may require adapting your study habits and seeking additional resources, such as tutoring or study groups, to help you understand the material. It is essential to communicate with your instructor if you are struggling and to utilize the resources available to you.