What to ask when visiting a university?

• Schools
  • Thread starter TheKracken
  • Start date
  • Tags
    University
In summary, the conversation discusses visiting universities, specifically UCSB, UCLA, UCR, and UCI, and what questions to ask during the visit. These questions include inquiring about research and internship opportunities, potential for involvement in research and presentations, types of programs and jobs that graduates pursue, transfer rates, clubs and resources for undergraduates, and opportunities for taking graduate level courses. The conversation also mentions the importance of discussing the university's relations with companies and the resources provided for preparation for graduate school or the workforce.
TheKracken
What to ask when visiting a university?

Hello everyone, tomorrow and friday I will be visiting a few different universities including UCSB, UCLA, UCR and UCI.

I have a meeting with a adviser of the undergraduate mathematics program and UC Santa Barbara. I do not believe she is an actual mathematician, just one of the staff, but there will be a peer advisior who I will most likely be able to talk to. What sort of questions should I ask? Can I mention that I am interested in a double major? Any advice on what to look for in a potential undergraduate university would be much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Should probably ask about research and internship opportunities, depending on what you are going for.

Just a simple list off of the top of my head:

Potential for an undergraduate to be involved in research and give a presentation.
Type of programs/jobs graduates go into after graduation.
Number of people who transfer out of the program.
Clubs/groups for undergraduates to meet other undergraduates.
Resources the university provides to prepare a student for graduate school or the work force.
Relations that the university may have with any companies.
Ability and opportunity to take graduate level courses during your later years.

1. What programs and majors does the university offer?

The university offers a wide range of programs and majors, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional degrees. They also offer various interdisciplinary and specialized programs, so be sure to research and ask about specific programs you are interested in.

2. What are the admission requirements and procedures?

To be admitted to the university, you will need to meet certain requirements, such as GPA, standardized test scores, and letters of recommendation. The admission procedures may also vary depending on whether you are an international student or a transfer student. It is important to thoroughly review the admission requirements and procedures before applying.

3. What is the campus culture like?

The campus culture refers to the overall atmosphere and values of the university. This includes the student body, faculty, and staff, as well as extracurricular activities and traditions. Asking about the campus culture will give you a better understanding of the university and help you determine if it is a good fit for you.

4. What are the housing options for students?

Most universities offer on-campus housing options for students, such as dorms, apartments, and residential colleges. Some may also have off-campus housing resources available. It is important to ask about housing options and costs, as well as the application process and availability, to plan for your living arrangements as a student.

5. What kind of support services does the university offer?

Universities typically offer a variety of support services to help students succeed academically and personally. This may include tutoring, career services, counseling, and disability services. Asking about support services can give you a better idea of the resources available to you as a student and how the university supports its students.