What is the alternate formula for finding friction coefficient on a ramp?

In summary, the coefficient of friction can be found using the equation fr = a/b, where a is the height of the ramp and b is the length of the base of the ramp. However, it is also possible to find the coefficient of friction using the angle of elevation of the ramp. By knowing the angle of elevation and the height of the ramp, one can use the formula tanθ to find the coefficient of static friction. This formula only works when the object is not moving and the ramp is raised to an angle where the object just begins to start slipping.
jerz211
I understand the equation to find the coefficient of friction.

fr = a/b

a -> height of the ramp
b -> length of the base of the ramp.

But i understand that it's also possible to find friction coefficient using angle of elevation of the ramp.

So if i know the angle of elevation and the height of the ramp, is it possible to still find the friction coefficient?

In other words, is there an alternate formula (other than fr = a/b) ??

Physics news on Phys.org
I have never used that equation myself, and I can't really see how it works? To find the coefficient of friction surely you would need some other forces, and not just the dimensions of the ramp. I have always used [itex]F=\mu R[/itex] where F is friction, [itex]\mu[/itex] is the coefficient of friction and R is the normal reaction. If you are interested there is a good little tutorial I used a few weeks ago for an exam that had this type of thing in it.

http://www.mathsrevision.net/alevel/pages.php?page=79"

I hope this helps somewhat jerz211, if not just say and I will see if i can find a more informative tutorial.

_Mayday_

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi jerz211! :smile:
jerz211 said:
But i understand that it's also possible to find friction coefficient using angle of elevation of the ramp.

So if i know the angle of elevation and the height of the ramp, is it possible to still find the friction coefficient?

In other words, is there an alternate formula (other than fr = a/b) ??
_Mayday_ said:
I have never used that equation myself, and I can't really see how it works? To find the coefficient of friction surely you would need some other forces, and not just the dimensions of the ramp.

Yes, it does work, if the block is not moving:

If W is the weight, N is the normal reaction, F is the friction force, and θ is the angle of elevation,

then applying good ol' Newton's second law in the normal direction, and along the slope, respectively, gives:

N = Wcosθ, and F = W sinθ.

So the coefficient of static friction is F/N, which is simply tanθ.

And tanθ = opp/adj = height/base = a/b. :smile:

A right, yeah thanks for that Tim. I'm just used to working with moving objects and inclined plains. :smile:

_Mayday_ said:
I have never used that equation myself, and I can't really see how it works? To find the coefficient of friction surely you would need some other forces, and not just the dimensions of the ramp.
It's not just any old dimensions of the ramp, but dimensions at a particular point: When the ramp is raised to an angle such that the object just begins to start slipping--that's when it's true that the coefficient of static friction equals tanθ. (It's not true in general for any angle.)

1. What is a friction coefficient ramp?

A friction coefficient ramp is a tool used in scientific experiments to measure the force of friction between two surfaces. It consists of a ramp with a smooth surface, and a weighted object is pulled along the ramp to determine the amount of force required to move it.

2. How is friction coefficient calculated using a ramp?

To calculate the friction coefficient using a ramp, the weight of the object is divided by the force required to move it up the ramp. This gives the coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the resistance to motion between two surfaces.

3. What factors can affect the friction coefficient on a ramp?

The friction coefficient on a ramp can be affected by several factors, including the type and texture of the surfaces in contact, the weight of the object, and the angle of the ramp. Other factors such as temperature and humidity can also play a role.

4. How is a friction coefficient ramp used in real-world applications?

A friction coefficient ramp is commonly used in industrial settings to determine the optimal materials and surface treatments for reducing friction in machinery. It is also used in sports equipment design to improve performance and reduce wear and tear on surfaces.

5. Are there any limitations to using a friction coefficient ramp?

While a friction coefficient ramp can provide valuable data, it is important to note that it is a simplified model and may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios. Factors such as surface roughness and environmental conditions may affect the results. Additionally, the ramp may not account for dynamic or complex movements, which can also impact the friction coefficient.