How much info to give on a postdoc application

In summary, the individual is seeking a postdoc in their spouse's area to resolve their living situation, but they are unsure if it is appropriate to mention this motivation in their application or interview. The expert advises not to make it the primary motivation and not to mention it in the cover letter or as the first thing in an interview, as it may give the impression of only being interested in the location. However, it is also not advised to cover it up, as it is a potential factor for the hiring committee to consider.
BeauGeste
Hi,

Currently my wife and I are stuck in a two body problem with a separation of about 1500 miles. I have been looking for postdocs in her area (not many but a few more within a few hundred miles). My question is whether it is at all appropriate to mention the living situation and how getting that job would resolve it. Or is it better to not even mention that?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Personally, I wouldn't bring it up as a primary motivation. I wouldn't mention it in a cover letter, or have it be the first thing out of your mouth on an interview. It might give the impression the only reason you're interested in the job is because of the location.

On the other hand, I wouldn't cover it up either. From my experience on hiring committees I know that one of the unspoken questions can be what the person's spouse or partner does. Technically, I'm not sure if we're even allowed to ask about that and so it's never formally brought up. But people on the hiring committee know that if the partner is local, there's a greater chance the candidate will stick around.

1. How much research experience should I include in my postdoc application?

When it comes to postdoc applications, it is important to highlight your research experience but also to be selective. Focus on the most relevant and impactful research projects you have been involved in and provide a brief overview of your contributions and achievements.

2. Should I include all of my publications on my postdoc application?

It is not necessary to include all of your publications on your postdoc application. Instead, choose the most relevant and significant publications that showcase your expertise and research potential. Additionally, you can mention any upcoming publications that are in progress.

3. Is it important to include non-research experience on my postdoc application?

While research experience is the main focus of a postdoc application, it can also be beneficial to include non-research experience that demonstrates your skills and qualifications. This can include teaching experience, leadership roles, or relevant internships.

4. Should I include letters of recommendation with my postdoc application?

Yes, it is highly recommended to include letters of recommendation with your postdoc application. These letters can provide valuable insights into your research abilities, work ethic, and potential for success in a postdoc position. Make sure to select recommenders who can speak to your strengths and qualifications.

5. How much detail should I provide in my research statement for a postdoc application?

Your research statement should provide a clear and concise overview of your research interests, goals, and methodology. It should also demonstrate your knowledge of the field and how your research fits into it. However, avoid getting too technical or providing excessive detail as the application reviewers may not have expertise in your specific area of research.