Derivation of ideal gas law by Hamiltonian mechanics

In summary, pressure is the average force/unit area of the gas. The time average of the force created by a single particle on the container is F = PΔS where ΔS is the area of the container wall that is interacting with the particle (ie. in a collision between the particle and the wall). So \oint PdS is the total force on all the particles of the gas.
Hausdorff
Hi!

I am trying to understand the statistical mechanics derivation of the ideal gas law shown at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law inder "Derivations".

First of all, the statement "Then the time average momentum of the particle is:
[itex] \langle \mathbf{q} \cdot \mathbf{F} \rangle= ... =-3k_BT.[/itex]". Isn't this wrong? For sure, the dimension of [itex] \langle \mathbf{q} \cdot \mathbf{F} [/itex] is energy, as is the dimension of [itex]-3k_BT[/itex] and not momentum.

Secondly, I do not understand the equation
[itex] -\langle \sum_{i=1}^{N}\mathbf{q}_k \cdot \mathbf{F}_k \rangle = P \oint_{\mathrm{surface}} \mathbf{q} \cdot d\mathbf{S} [/itex].
I dot not understand what [itex]\mathbf{q} [/itex] is, since all position vectors have been subsricpted. Nor do I understand the physical interpretation of [itex] \mathbf{q} \cdot d\mathbf{S}[/itex]: the scalar product of [itex] \mathbf{q} [/itex] (a position vector?) and the vector area element.

If anybody could shed some light on this, I would be very grateful.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hausdorff said:
Hi!

I am trying to understand the statistical mechanics derivation of the ideal gas law shown at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law inder "Derivations".

First of all, the statement "Then the time average momentum of the particle is:
[itex] \langle \mathbf{q} \cdot \mathbf{F} \rangle= ... =-3k_BT.[/itex]". Isn't this wrong? For sure, the dimension of [itex] \langle \mathbf{q} \cdot \mathbf{F} [/itex] is energy, as is the dimension of [itex]-3k_BT[/itex] and not momentum.
I agree with you there. It should be "time average kinetic energy of the particle". You should post a talk comment in the Wikipedia article.

Secondly, I do not understand the equation
[itex] -\langle \sum_{i=1}^{N}\mathbf{q}_k \cdot \mathbf{F}_k \rangle = P \oint_{\mathrm{surface}} \mathbf{q} \cdot d\mathbf{S} [/itex].
I dot not understand what [itex]\mathbf{q} [/itex] is, since all position vectors have been subsricpted. Nor do I understand the physical interpretation of [itex] \mathbf{q} \cdot d\mathbf{S}[/itex]: the scalar product of [itex] \mathbf{q} [/itex] (a position vector?) and the vector area element.

If anybody could shed some light on this, I would be very grateful.
Pressure is the average force/unit area of the gas. So the time average of the force created by a single particle on the container is F = PΔS where ΔS is the area of the container wall that is interacting with the particle (ie. in a collision between the particle and the wall). So [itex]\oint PdS[/itex] is the total force on all the particles of the gas.

Where it gets a little unclear is setting the total energy to P∫qds. This does not explain the physics. A better explanation can be found on the Wikipedia page on Kinetic theory.

AM

Thank you for your reply!

I have been discussing this on another forum as well. There it was explained to me that q and F arise from approximation of the discrete model with a continuous one, so that the derivation with additional steps, would look something like
[itex] -\langle \sum_{k=1}^{N} \mathbf{q}_k \cdot \mathbf{F}_k \rangle \approx \int_{\mathrm{volume}}\mathbf{q}\cdot \mathbf{F}dV=
\oint_{\mathrm{surface}}\mathbf{q}\cdot (Pd\mathbf{S})=P\oint_{\mathrm{surface}}\mathbf{q} \cdot d\mathbf{S}... [/itex],
where the second is valid to due F vanishing everywhere except for at the surface.

I have looked at the more intuitive derivation on the wiki page on kinetic theory. However, I wanted to understand the more rigorous statistical mechanics proof as well.

Hausdorff said:
There it was explained to me that q and F arise from approximation of the discrete model with a continuous one, so that the derivation with additional steps, would look something like
[itex] -\langle \sum_{k=1}^{N} \mathbf{q}_k \cdot \mathbf{F}_k \rangle \approx \int_{\mathrm{volume}}\mathbf{q}\cdot \mathbf{F}dV[/itex],
I don't follow this. It does not appear to be dimensionally correct. This has dimensions of Force x distance x volume.

AM

This is somewhat misleading since the equipartition theorem holds only true for quadratic forms of the canonical variables, i.e., for the harmonic oscillator. The classical grand-canonical partition function is given by
[tex]Z=\sum_{N=0}^{\infty} \exp(\alpha N) \frac{z^N}{N!} = \exp(z \exp \alpha),[/tex]
with the single-particle partion function
[tex]z=\int \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{x} \mathrm{d}^3 \vec{p} \exp \left [-\beta \left (\frac{\vec{p}^2}{2m}+\frac{\omega^2}{2} \vec{x}^2 \right ) \right ]=\frac{8 \pi m^{3/2}}{\beta^3 \omega^3}.[/tex]
Then you get
[tex]\langle N \rangle=\frac{\partial \ln Z}{\partial \alpha}=\frac{8 \pi^3 m^{3/2} \exp \alpha}{\beta^3 \omega^3}[/tex]
and
[tex]\langle H \rangle = -\frac{\partial \ln Z}{\partial \beta} = 3 \frac{\langle N \rangle}{\beta}.[/tex]
As you see only in a harmonic oscillator potential you get the mean energy in the form given in Wikipedia.

Related to Derivation of ideal gas law by Hamiltonian mechanics

1. What is the ideal gas law and how is it derived?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of an ideal gas. It is derived using Hamiltonian mechanics, which is a mathematical framework for describing the dynamics of a system using energy and momentum. By applying Hamiltonian mechanics to a system of non-interacting gas particles, the ideal gas law can be derived.

2. What is Hamiltonian mechanics and how does it relate to the ideal gas law?

Hamiltonian mechanics is a mathematical framework used to describe the dynamics of a system using energy and momentum. In the context of the ideal gas law, it is used to describe the motion and interactions of non-interacting gas particles. By applying Hamiltonian mechanics to these particles, the ideal gas law can be derived.

3. What assumptions are made in the derivation of the ideal gas law using Hamiltonian mechanics?

The derivation of the ideal gas law using Hamiltonian mechanics relies on several assumptions, including that the gas particles are non-interacting, that the collisions between particles are elastic, and that the particles have negligible volume compared to the volume of the container.

4. How does the ideal gas law differ from real gas behavior?

While the ideal gas law is a useful approximation for many gases, it does not perfectly describe the behavior of real gases. Real gases deviate from the ideal gas law at high pressures and low temperatures, where the particles interact more and the volume of the particles becomes significant. Additionally, real gases may exhibit non-ideal behavior such as condensation or liquefaction.

5. What are some applications of the ideal gas law derived by Hamiltonian mechanics?

The ideal gas law derived by Hamiltonian mechanics is used in various fields of science and engineering, including in the design of internal combustion engines, in the study of Earth's atmosphere, and in the development of thermodynamic models for chemical reactions. It is also used in the development of equations of state for gases and in the analysis of gas behavior in industrial processes.