Comparison between y=sinx and

• Thread starter aisha
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comparison
In summary, the conversation discusses a comparison between the equations y=sinx and y+3=2sin(3x+pi/2). The latter has a vertical stretch by a factor of 2, horizontal compression by 1/3, no reflection on the x or y axis, 30 degree horizontal phase shift to the left, and 3 units down vertical displacement. The group also clarifies that to get the horizontal compression, one should divide 2pi by the coefficient of (x + pi/6), which is 3 in this case. They also discuss the behavior of the graph when dealing with phase shifts and stretch/shrink. The group agrees that a positive phase shift results in a shift to the left, while
aisha
Comparison between y=sinx and...

[tex] y+3=2\sin(3x+\frac{\pi}{2})[/tex]

vertical stretch by a factor of 2
horizontal compression by 1/3 no reflection in the x or y axis
30 degrees horizontal phase shift to the left
and 3 units down vertical displacement.

Can someone please check this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think its shifted to the left, other than that you're ok.

Don't you have to divide 2pi by the coefficient of (x + pi/6) [which is 3] to get the horizontal compression? It's been a while since basic functions but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

The exception to this is a tan equation where you divide pi by the coefficient instead.

Otherwise, yes it is shifted to the left. Whenever dealing with phase (x) shifts or stretch/shrink the +/- graph behaviour is reversed.

Aresius said:
Don't you have to divide 2pi by the coefficient of (x + pi/6) [which is 3] to get the horizontal compression? It's been a while since basic functions but I'm pretty sure that's the case.

The exception to this is a tan equation where you divide pi by the coefficient instead.

Otherwise, yes it is shifted to the left. Whenever dealing with phase (x) shifts or stretch/shrink the +/- graph behaviour is reversed.
[tex]2 \pi[/tex] divided by the coefficient will get you your period, yes. [tex]2 \pi[/tex] divided by 1 would give you a period of [tex]2 \pi[/tex]. [tex]2 \pi[/tex] divided by 3 would give you a period 1/3 as long, or [tex]\frac{2 \pi}{3}[/tex].

That would be what aisha meant by "compression by 1/3".

Yes the graph would shift to the left for a positive phase shift. At time zero (x=0), the angle is shifted forward for a positive phase shift (you're at 30 degrees instead of 0 degrees). That means the point where the angle (and the sine of the angle) was equal to zero had to occur prior to the time when x equaled zero (the "start" point shifted left).

My mistake, hehe

so if this is my equation [tex] y= a sin [b(x-c)] +d [/tex]

if c is positive it shifts to the left and if negative shifts to the right?

or do you put the minus from this equation and the sign of ur question in my case (+) together and then if it is negative move to the left or positive move to the right I am not sure what sign c should have.

aisha said:
so if this is my equation [tex] y= a sin [b(x-c)] +d [/tex]

if c is positive it shifts to the left and if negative shifts to the right?

or do you put the minus from this equation and the sign of ur question in my case (+) together and then if it is negative move to the left or positive move to the right I am not sure what sign c should have.
Positive shifts to the left; negative to the right.

I have changed my original post is it correct now?

wouldnt it be 90 degrees shift to the left ?

No because you factor out the 3.

It looks right to me.

1. What is the difference between y=sinx and y=cosx?

The main difference between y=sinx and y=cosx is that they have different shapes on a graph. The graph of y=sinx is a wave that starts at (0,0) and has a maximum value of 1 at (pi/2,1). On the other hand, the graph of y=cosx is a wave that starts at (0,1) and has a minimum value of -1 at (pi/2,-1). This is because sinx represents the vertical component of a point on the unit circle, while cosx represents the horizontal component.

2. How are the graphs of y=sinx and y=cosx related?

The graphs of y=sinx and y=cosx are related by a phase shift of pi/2. This means that the graph of y=cosx is the same as the graph of y=sinx, but shifted to the left by pi/2 units. In other words, the peak of the wave for y=cosx is at the same x-value as the zero for y=sinx.

3. What is the period of y=sinx and y=cosx?

The period of a trigonometric function is the length of one complete cycle on the graph. For both y=sinx and y=cosx, the period is 2pi. This means that the graph will repeat itself every 2pi units on the x-axis. This is because sinx and cosx have a period of 360 degrees, which is equivalent to 2pi radians.

4. Can y=sinx and y=cosx have negative values?

Yes, both y=sinx and y=cosx can have negative values. The range of both functions is from -1 to 1, which means that they can have negative values in the fourth and third quadrants of the unit circle. This occurs when the angle is between pi/2 and 3pi/2 for y=sinx, and between 0 and pi for y=cosx.

5. How can y=sinx and y=cosx be used in real life applications?

Sinx and cosx are commonly used in mathematics and physics to model periodic phenomena. They can be used to describe the motion of a pendulum, the rotation of a wheel, or the fluctuations of a sound wave. In engineering, they are used in fields such as electrical engineering and signal processing to analyze and manipulate periodic signals. In navigation, sine and cosine functions are used in trigonometric calculations to determine the position of an object based on its distance and angles from known points.