The Mirror Question

by mesaphlin
Tags: mirror
Share this thread:
mesaphlin
Aug8-14, 10:41 AM
P: 3
Hello Everyone,

I was just thinking about a question about mirrors and this specific question has been making me thinking about it for a long time and I still couldn't find the answer.

The question is simply about mirrors.

A mirror reflects images that are significantly altered by being backwards - this is the known fact.

My question is that what changes in overall laws of physics if mirrors reflect the images without being backwards?

I hope I made my question clear.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Team finds elusive quantum transformations near absolute zero
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
A.T.
Aug8-14, 10:49 AM
P: 4,209
Quote Quote by mesaphlin View Post
A mirror reflects images that are significantly altered by being backwards
Not backwards, just mirrored.

My question is that what changes in overall laws of physics if mirrors reflect the images without being backwards?
If something doesn't mirror the image, then it is not a mirror. Nothing to do with physics.
mesaphlin
Aug8-14, 11:01 AM
okay - thanks

HallsofIvy
Aug8-14, 12:00 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
The Mirror Question

Hello Everyone,

I was just thinking about a question about mirrors and this specific question has been making me thinking about it for a long time and I still couldn't find the answer.

The question is simply about mirrors.

A mirror reflects images that are significantly altered by being backwards - this is the known fact.
No, that is NOT a "known fact". It is a "common misconception".
If you walk up to a person and, say, shake hands, your right side is on his left side, your left side is on his right side. To shake each other's right hand, you have to have to reach across your body. He is 'backwards' (reversed would be a better word) to you.

When you look into a mirror, that does not happen- the image is NOT "backwards" but appears to be "wrong" because you are used to seeing people "backwards".

I hope I made my question clear.
It is not a matter of physics, it is a matter of psychology.
mesaphlin
Aug8-14, 12:25 PM
Quote Quote by HallsofIvy View Post
No, that is NOT a "known fact". It is a "common misconception".
If you walk up to a person and, say, shake hands, your right side is on his left side, your left side is on his right side. To shake each other's right hand, you have to have to reach across your body. He is 'backwards' (reversed would be a better word) to you.

When you look into a mirror, that does not happen- the image is NOT "backwards" but appears to be "wrong" because you are used to seeing people "backwards".

It is not a matter of physics, it is a matter of psychology.
I understand it now. Thank you so much.

Register to reply