The Mirror Question: What Changes in Physics?

• Thread starter mesaphlin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, if you look into a mirror and the image is not backwards, it is because we are used to seeing people that way and the mirror is just reflecting that.
mesaphlin
Hello Everyone,

I was just thinking about a question about mirrors and this specific question has been making me thinking about it for a long time and I still couldn't find the answer.

The question is simply about mirrors.

A mirror reflects images that are significantly altered by being backwards - this is the known fact.

My question is that what changes in overall laws of physics if mirrors reflect the images without being backwards?

I hope I made my question clear.

Science news on Phys.org
mesaphlin said:
A mirror reflects images that are significantly altered by being backwards
Not backwards, just mirrored.

mesaphlin said:
My question is that what changes in overall laws of physics if mirrors reflect the images without being backwards?
If something doesn't mirror the image, then it is not a mirror. Nothing to do with physics.

okay - thanks

mesaphlin said:
Hello Everyone,

I was just thinking about a question about mirrors and this specific question has been making me thinking about it for a long time and I still couldn't find the answer.

The question is simply about mirrors.

A mirror reflects images that are significantly altered by being backwards - this is the known fact.
No, that is NOT a "known fact". It is a "common misconception".
If you walk up to a person and, say, shake hands, your right side is on his left side, your left side is on his right side. To shake each other's right hand, you have to have to reach across your body. He is 'backwards' (reversed would be a better word) to you.

When you look into a mirror, that does not happen- the image is NOT "backwards" but appears to be "wrong" because you are used to seeing people "backwards".

I hope I made my question clear.
It is not a matter of physics, it is a matter of psychology.

HallsofIvy said:
No, that is NOT a "known fact". It is a "common misconception".
If you walk up to a person and, say, shake hands, your right side is on his left side, your left side is on his right side. To shake each other's right hand, you have to have to reach across your body. He is 'backwards' (reversed would be a better word) to you.

When you look into a mirror, that does not happen- the image is NOT "backwards" but appears to be "wrong" because you are used to seeing people "backwards".

It is not a matter of physics, it is a matter of psychology.

I understand it now. Thank you so much.

1. What is the "Mirror Question" in physics?

The "Mirror Question" in physics refers to a thought experiment proposed by scientist Richard Feynman in which a mirror is placed between two parallel mirrors, creating an infinite number of reflections. The question asks what would happen if one of the mirrors was moved perpendicular to the others.

2. Why is the "Mirror Question" important in physics?

The "Mirror Question" raises fundamental questions about the nature of space, time, and symmetry in physics. It challenges our understanding of how the physical laws governing our universe behave under transformations, such as reflections.

3. Has the "Mirror Question" been solved?

No, the "Mirror Question" remains unsolved and is still a topic of debate and research among physicists. Several theories and hypotheses have been proposed, but a definitive answer has not yet been reached.

4. How does the "Mirror Question" relate to quantum mechanics?

Quantum mechanics, which deals with the behavior of particles at the smallest scales, plays a crucial role in the "Mirror Question." Some theories suggest that the behavior of particles in the mirror experiment may be explained by quantum entanglement, where particles are connected regardless of distance.

5. What are the potential implications of solving the "Mirror Question"?

The answer to the "Mirror Question" could have significant implications for our understanding of the fundamental laws of physics and could potentially lead to new discoveries and technologies. It could also help reconcile the discrepancies between classical mechanics and quantum mechanics.