Can Time and Space be Distorted for Zero-Mass Travel?

In summary: I didn't mean that light has mass. I meant if m is 0 then the equation says that E is also 0.Am I still interpreting it wrong?No, you're not misunderstanding me. What you're saying is that if m is set to 0 in an equation, then E is also set to 0. This is correct.
patrick_usc
Would it be possible for a human being or any other solid matter to be encapsuled or exist in a sort of "Vaccum" which distorts space and time around the object that would make it have zero matter?
If so, would it be possible for light or protons to somehow be captured and propel that object along a determined path through space to a destination? And given the experiment in which an object the size of a molecule has already been involved in "time travel" could this potentially zero mass object be able to totravel through space and possibly time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure what you mean by that "vacuum" thing. However, according to Einsteins famous equation:
E = mc^2 if you have zero mass, then you have zero energy. The equation shows that mass and energy are essentially interchangeable.
So I'll assume that what you want is to convert all of this objects mass into energy. As of yet, there is no practical way to achieve this.

"time travel" into the future is only possible through relativity, traveling to the past is impossible.

patrick_usc said:
Would it be possible for a human being or any other solid matter to be encapsuled or exist in a sort of "Vaccum" which distorts space and time around the object that would make it have zero matter?
If so, would it be possible for light or protons to somehow be captured and propel that object along a determined path through space to a destination? And given the experiment in which an object the size of a molecule has already been involved in "time travel" could this potentially zero mass object be able to totravel through space and possibly time?

There is simply way too many speculation built on top of speculation in your question here. At some point, you have to come back to some known physics before you extrapolate way too far. As it is, there is no way to address your question without diving into unverified speculation. This is against the https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374" that governs all posts in this forum.

Perillux said:
I'm not sure what you mean by that "vacuum" thing. However, according to Einsteins famous equation:
E = mc^2 if you have zero mass, then you have zero energy. The equation shows that mass and energy are essentially interchangeable.

This is incorrect. Lights has no mass, but it certainly has energy.

This issue has been addressed in the FAQ thread in the General Physics forum. Please review it.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't mean that light has mass. I meant if m is 0 then the equation says that E is also 0.
Am I still interpreting it wrong?

Perillux said:
I didn't mean that light has mass. I meant if m is 0 then the equation says that E is also 0.
Am I still interpreting it wrong?

Yes, because you're also implying that light has zero energy, since m=0. This is not correct. Light has m=0, but it certainly does NOT have zero energy. So your "rule" here is faulty.

Zz.

1. Can time and space really be distorted for zero-mass travel?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time and space can be distorted by massive objects. This allows for the possibility of zero-mass travel, as long as the object is traveling at the speed of light.

2. How does zero-mass travel work?

Zero-mass travel is based on the concept of time dilation, which is when time moves slower for an object moving at high speeds. As an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object, allowing it to travel vast distances in a shorter amount of time.

3. Is it possible for humans to achieve zero-mass travel?

Currently, it is not possible for humans to achieve zero-mass travel as we do not have the technology to travel at the speed of light. Additionally, the amount of energy required for this type of travel is immense and not currently attainable by humans.

4. Are there any potential consequences of zero-mass travel?

Zero-mass travel does have potential consequences, such as the effects of time dilation on the human body. As an object approaches the speed of light, time slows down for that object, which could have negative effects on the human body's biological processes.

5. Could zero-mass travel be the key to interstellar travel?

While zero-mass travel is a theoretical concept, it is currently not a viable option for interstellar travel. The energy required for such travel is immense and beyond our current capabilities. However, further advancements in technology and understanding of the laws of physics may make it a possibility in the distant future.