Faster Spinning Earth: Gravitational & Centrifugal Affects

In summary, if the Earth were to spin faster and faster, the mass would increase due to kinetic energy but this would be overshadowed by the effect of centrifugal force. At near the speed of light, the Earth would become unrecognizable due to the extreme centrifugal force and it is unlikely that relativistic mass increase would be relevant. This is also highly unlikely to occur in any cosmic bodies.
boffinwannabe
what would the affects of a faster and faster spinning Earth be gravitationally? Mass increases with rotation i believe? If rotation neared the speed of light how much would the mass and gravity change?

I am wondering what is more significant, the gravitational affects or the centifugal affects? Would a hugely faster spin keep us firmer on the ground or fling us off into space?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you fasten a heavy weight on the end of a string and whirl it round your head, you would easily be able to break the string.
You can probably generate the equivalent of several kilograms of weight that way without having to get up a speed of more than 100mph.

On the other hand, the mass increase due to Kinetic Energy is probably in the order of the weight of a single atom.

So, which is stronger, centrifugal or relativistic gravitation?{Edit}PS Having had my curiosity tickled, I did the calculation - the correct figure for a 1kg mass at 100mph is rather more than my off-the-cuff guess. It doesn't significantly affect this answer - but it's surprising how big it actually is.

Last edited:
So from your calculations AJ Bentley, is the velocity provided by the centrifugal force higher than the escape velocity?

I should say so - work it out yourself.
Even using a classical calculation of centrifugal force F=mv^2/r you get F=mc^2/r

c is 300,000,000 and the Earth is about 6,000,000 metres radius so the upward force on a 1kg mass would be 15,000,000,000 Newtons.

Whoa, hold on a sec...
Are you trying to fling something out into space using centrifugal force?

Well, it is theoretically possible, and the US government has explored it many years ago. Sorry, don't have a source.
Anyway, the main problem is the strength of the centrifugal containment prior to release. Be it a steel cable, carbon nano-tube, etc... the "cable" will snap well before escape velocity.
But, the theory itself is quite sound. That's why it was actually experimented.

im a non-phsycis non-maths guy who just finds the subject interesting but frustratingly dotn understand the maths to work things out. So I am really trying to envisage what happens to the Earth if its rotation were to approach the speed of light. I trying to understand what forces become dominant. So i understand that at those speeds the increase in mass is significant but my mind is asking what would this make the net gravity on Earth given the increase in the centrifugal force. If the Earth stopped spinning i understand gravity would still be the dominant force keeping us on the ground. Now I am trying to understand the other extreme. Keeping it simple and just working on the basis that the rotation is near the speed of light and no worrying if the increase in rotation from was sudden or slow.

boffinwannabe said:
what would the affects of a faster and faster spinning Earth be gravitationally? Mass increases with rotation i believe? If rotation neared the speed of light how much would the mass and gravity change?

I am wondering what is more significant, the gravitational affects or the centifugal affects? Would a hugely faster spin keep us firmer on the ground or fling us off into space?

Centrifugal force would make the Earth unrecognizable long before relativistic mass increase becomes relevant.

Are there actually any cosmic bodies having relativistic rotational velocities? This is certainly very exotic.

Dr Lots-o'watts said:
Centrifugal force would make the Earth unrecognizable long before relativistic mass increase becomes relevant.

Are there actually any cosmic bodies having relativistic rotational velocities? This is certainly very exotic.

Well, some of the fastest millisecond pulsars can have surface velocities in excess of 10% of the speed of light, if I didn't screw up the calculation (12km radius object, rotating at 500-800 rev/sec).

1. How does the Earth's faster spinning affect gravity?

The Earth's faster spinning creates a centrifugal force that counteracts the force of gravity, making objects at the equator feel slightly lighter than objects at the poles. However, the difference is very small and not noticeable to humans.

2. Does the Earth's faster spinning affect the length of a day?

Yes, the Earth's rotation on its axis determines the length of a day. As the Earth's rotation speeds up, the length of a day becomes shorter.

3. Can the Earth's faster spinning cause changes in tides?

Yes, the Earth's faster spinning can cause slight changes in tides. The centrifugal force created by the faster spinning Earth can slightly decrease the force of gravity, resulting in slightly lower tides at the equator and slightly higher tides at the poles.

4. How does the Earth's faster spinning affect its shape?

The Earth's faster spinning causes it to bulge slightly at the equator and flatten at the poles. This is due to the centrifugal force pushing outwards at the equator.

5. Is the Earth's faster spinning responsible for climate change?

No, the Earth's faster spinning does not directly cause climate change. However, it can have an indirect effect by changing the distribution of heat and moisture around the planet, potentially affecting weather patterns and climate over time.