What activities do you consider 'fun'?

• Thread starter LightbulbSun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Fun
In summary: I did often end up playing second fiddle to the guitarists.In summary, people enjoy a variety of activities, some more than others. Fly-fishing, gardening, making pickles and hot sauces, and photography are some of the activities people enjoy. Guitar playing, astronomical observation, solving physics equations, tinkering with circuits, snowboarding, whitewater rafting, rock climbing, playing video games, computer programming, listening to music, and playing music are some of the other activities people enjoy.
LightbulbSun
I'm creating this thread to get some ideas on activities I could possibly do. I love golfing, hitting the batting cages, going to the movies, snowtubing, hiking etc. I'd like to know some other activites that some of you consider fun to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
Playing guitar, gardening, making pickles and hot sauces, and photography all make the list. Until my knees went bad, so did downhill skiing and white-water canoing (class 4-5 rivers).

turbo-1 said:
Playing guitar, gardening, making pickles and hot sauces, and photography all make the list. Until my knees went bad, so did downhill skiing and white-water canoing (class 4-5 rivers).

I gardened a little bit last summer and that was a lot of fun. I also want to learn the keyboard.

I also consider astronomical research and cosmology fun, but the data-collection and data-reduction can get tedious. Also, I have to have music playing in the background whenever I'm working.

Fly-fishing is a BIG fun for me, too.

turbo-1 said:
I also consider astronomical research and cosmology fun, but the data-collection and data-reduction can get tedious. Also, I have to have music playing in the background whenever I'm working.

Fly-fishing is a BIG fun for me, too.

If I'm data collecting I can have music playing in the background, but when I'm trying to learn something I have to have silence.

-----, -----, -----, --------.

Fun? Astronomical observation, solving physics equations, tinkering with circuits, snowboarding, whitewater rafting, rock climbing, playing video games, computer programming, listening to music, playing music (what little I can) and just general activities involving friends!

Hiking, skiing, kyaking - I don't get to do any of these things nearly enough. Family get-togethers. Cooking, eating.

You might consider taking a martial arts or Tai chi chuan class.

I gave it up years ago but always enjoyed the martial arts. ...may even have a chance to take up something again in a couple of years.

Going fast on dirt bikes is always intense and a blast.

It's hard to beat the thrill of sliding down the face of a huge wave.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
You might consider taking a martial arts or Tai chi chuan class.

I gave it up years ago but always enjoyed the martial arts. ...may even have a chance to take up something again in a couple of years.

I did martial arts for 3 years - loved it! I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed free-form sparring. It gave me a whole new appreciation of boxing.

I just went through over 2 years of data-collection and reduction for a paper on observational astronomy and intergalactic gravitational interaction (with 2 collaborators that I have never met in person). We spent another couple of months bringing the paper in line with the expectations of a referee (a good exercise, BTW) and have re-submitted. This was really grinding work that department heads relegate to grad students, but it is nice to have in-depth knowledge about the robustness of one's data set, and I feel good about the paper.

I hear sex has been gaining popularity since 1963. That might be worth checking out.

I usually look for friends to spend time with; it doesn't really matter what we do. If that fails, I play online video games.

I pretty much just sit in front of my computer and play Flash games 6 hours a day.

lisab said:
I did martial arts for 3 years - loved it! I was really surprised at how much I enjoyed free-form sparring.

Heh, yeah, a buddy and I liked to kick the crap out of each other.

I once went six rounds with a former Golden Gloves national champion. That was a mistake. :zzz:

sailing, snorkeling, bicycling. I also love cooking and drawing. Sculpting with clay. Making projects with wood, just about any craft project were I can make things with my hands or simple tools.

I love going to museums.

Things some of my friends do - hill climbing, rock climbing, mountain climbing, dancing.

wolram said:
-----, -----, -----, --------.

Woolie's version of 'nod, nod, wink, wink! Say no more.'

Before the knees went south, I used to love running. I ran (and skied) X-country in HS, and when the course was free of snow, I used to run it twice after school - then, I'd grab my stuff and run/jog home, over 3 miles away. I loved my ski-patrol work during those years, and when I went to college, I volunteered to teach downhill skiing in an intramural setting.

Most fun was running open-mike blues/rock jams at a local tavern on Sunday afternoons. It was only good for $125/for 4 hours, but it was great fun when parents would bring their kids to participate. We had some really talented pros and semi-pros showing up, too (close friends from HS on, in many instances) and it was fun to provide a supportive environment for young players, encourage them to take leads, etc. The most fun was when a kid had asked something like "how do you do those double-stop bends?" only to have them come back a week or two later and try to work those techniques into a song. Even better was when they'd come back after more practice and pull a technique off smoothly, grinning from ear to ear.

ShawnD said:
I hear sex has been gaining popularity since 1963. That might be worth checking out.

That's just a fad. I predict wearing paper hats will be the next "big thing" after this whole sex thing dies down. Give it a few more weeks.

Poop-Loops said:
That's just a fad. I predict wearing paper hats will be the next "big thing" after this whole sex thing dies down. Give it a few more weeks.
Damn! I thought I was ahead of the curve with the tin-foil hats! Paper doesn't keep out the dangerous pervasive signals.

Flying airplanes, driving my car, riding a motorcycle, hanging out with friends at a resturant drinking beer and eating good food, going to a club at night on the weekends. I don't know, there are lots of things you can find to do.

Playing guitar (even though I am no good at it and don't think I ever will be :( ), mountain biking, hiking, rollerblading, camping, riding motorcycles (don't have one now unfortunately), skiing (to expensive to do often though), other sports like basketball and baseball and I guess that is about it. In the summer the possibilities for cheap fun are endless, it is the winter where things get a bit harder.

Birding, hiking, mountain and rock climbing, reading...

I haven't hiked in a long time.

Kayaking, fishing (lure and fly), rafting, mountain biking, photography, lots of other stuff.

Checking out PhysicsForums when I should be working.

1. What are some examples of activities that you consider 'fun'?

Some examples of activities that I consider fun include hiking, playing sports such as soccer or basketball, cooking, playing board games, and going to concerts or live shows.

2. How do you determine if an activity is 'fun'?

I determine if an activity is fun by considering if it brings me joy and makes me feel happy and fulfilled. I also consider if it challenges me in a positive way and if I look forward to participating in it.

3. Is there a specific type of activity that you find more fun than others?

I personally find physical activities and social activities to be the most fun for me. I enjoy being active and spending time with others while engaging in activities.

4. Can an activity be both fun and educational?

Yes, absolutely! Many activities can be both fun and educational. For example, traveling to new places can be a fun and educational experience as you learn about different cultures and history. Playing strategy games can also be both fun and educational as it requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

5. How do you make 'boring' activities more fun?

One way to make boring activities more fun is by finding ways to make them more challenging or competitive. For example, if you find running on a treadmill boring, you can set a goal to beat your personal best time. Another way is by finding a way to make the activity social, such as studying with a group of friends or listening to music while completing a tedious task.