Ocean salinity and its affect on surface tension

In summary, decreasing ocean salinity is likely to decrease surface tension due to the decrease in density. However, there is limited evidence to support this. The effect of surface tension on coastal zones is negligible on the scale of ocean and river flows, and is not included in fluid mechanics models. It may have a small impact on evaporation rates, but this has not been studied extensively. Coastal aquifers are more affected by other factors such as hydraulic conductivity and soil type, rather than surface tension.
DrClapeyron
How would decreasing ocean salinity affect surface tension, and how would this reduced surface tension affect coastal zones?

Seems to me that a decrease in salinity will decrease surface tension because density decreases with decreasing salinity. So I would think decrease in density would decrease surface tension. But I can't really find any solid evidence of this.

Also, how would this decrease in ocean surface tension (if true) affect coastal zones? Would coastal acquifer-level rise, clay expansion, decrease tidal salt, and flora/faunal changes lead toward erosion or slumping of anykind? I don't think freshwater lakes have any anamolous type of erosion going on that saline lakes or the oceans do not.

Earth sciences news on Phys.org
DrClapeyron said:
How would decreasing ocean salinity affect surface tension, and how would this reduced surface tension affect coastal zones?

Seems to me that a decrease in salinity will decrease surface tension because density decreases with decreasing salinity. So I would think decrease in density would decrease surface tension. But I can't really find any solid evidence of this.

Also, how would this decrease in ocean surface tension (if true) affect coastal zones? Would coastal acquifer-level rise, clay expansion, decrease tidal salt, and flora/faunal changes lead toward erosion or slumping of anykind? I don't think freshwater lakes have any anamolous type of erosion going on that saline lakes or the oceans do not.

Google "surface tension of salt solutions"

You may want to consider what happens at river mouths, where salt and fresh water mix. Do you see anything unusual or different? I have never noticed any obvious effects on the surface of the water in these changing salinity regions.

On the scale of ocean and river flows, surface tension has a negligible effect. It is not included in fluid mechanics models of the ocean or rivers. In practice, surface tension effects apply only on much smaller scales. The effect of salinity on density, on the other hand, can affect the hydrostatics and the dynamics, and is usually taken into account.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
On the scale of ocean and river flows, surface tension has a negligible effect. It is not included in fluid mechanics models of the ocean or rivers. In practice, surface tension effects apply only on much smaller scales. The effect of salinity on density, on the other hand, can affect the hydrostatics and the dynamics, and is usually taken into account.
Chet
Would you expect surface tension to impact evaporation rates? Intuitively it seems it should, but intuition is not science.

Ophiolite said:
Would you expect surface tension to impact evaporation rates? Intuitively it seems it should, but intuition is not science.

Intuitively, I would think it's mainly an energy question imo, 2500 joule per gram, on which surface tension may not have much effect. But it's an excellent question to find out by experiment.

Ophiolite said:

No. Not on the scale of oceans or rivers. Only on the scale of very small droplets.

it could affect the evaporization of droplets produced by breaking spray and thereby affect the generation of marin aerosols.

I don't think surface tension has an important influence.

Actually, surface tension is not even included in studies on the ocean skin layer dynamics. The only part where I'd see this in on bubble jets and spray production, but only to parameterize fluxes, mostly momentum and heat fluxes.

Coastal aquifers (saline intrusion in them) would depend on regular aspects such as hydraulic conductivity, soil type and so on. Surface tension is a feature of the microscale, so I think it's negligible.

1. What is ocean salinity?

Ocean salinity refers to the amount of dissolved salts, such as sodium chloride, in the ocean water. It is typically measured in parts per thousand (ppt) or practical salinity units (psu).

2. How does ocean salinity affect surface tension?

The higher the salinity of ocean water, the stronger the surface tension. This is because the dissolved salts in the water create stronger hydrogen bonds between water molecules, making it more difficult for objects to break through the surface of the water.

3. What factors can cause changes in ocean salinity?

Some factors that can cause changes in ocean salinity include precipitation, evaporation, melting of glaciers and sea ice, and freshwater inputs from rivers and streams.

4. What are the implications of changes in ocean salinity?

Changes in ocean salinity can have significant impacts on ocean circulation patterns, marine ecosystems, and global climate. It can also affect the distribution of species and the growth and survival of marine organisms.

5. How do scientists measure ocean salinity?

Scientists use several different methods to measure ocean salinity, including conductivity, density, and chemical titration. These methods involve collecting water samples from various locations in the ocean and analyzing their salt content in a laboratory.