Solving Multiple Onload Issues with JavaScript

• Thread starter Mattara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Multiple
In summary, you want to set up a delay in between function calls in order to sequence them in a certain order.
Mattara
I have a certain service on an ISP. I am having a few minor "hang" problems on page load.

Im assuming this is because both have "onload" calls, as do other modifications I'm using, and this "hang" is cause by the codes all loading at once?

I want to set the different mods to load in sequence instead by using a delay. E.G.

<BODY onLoad="javascript:alert('First Action');alert('Second Action');">

but I am not sure how to go about it. If I listed the "onload" function of each modification I use, could somebody who knows what they are doing work out a code like above to specification for me and tell me where to put it?
(i presume css inline/ head tags equivalent?)

I.E

1 load "item one"
2 load "item two"
3 load "some other thing"

maybe something like this in an external js (but put where?)

CODEfunction start() {
function1();
function2();
function3();
}
window.onload = start;

Brainpower appreciated,

Technology news on Phys.org
Couldn't you just define a JavaScript function inside a script tag in the header, then call that function from your onLoad event?

- Warren

I'm confused as to what you want to do. The idea that i have is that all you want to do is load a number functions in sequence, but what is the difficulty in this? The code you posted, with the function start(), would accomplish this. Just copy the code from each of your onloads and place them inside functions defined in the html head, then call that function onload, like:

Code:
<html>
<head>
<script language="javascript">
function func1(){
	//the code for your first onload here
	alert("func1");
}
function func2(){
	//the code for your second onload here
	alert("func2");
}
function func3(){
	//the code for your third onload here
	alert("func3");
}
function start(){
	func1();
	func2();
	func3();
}
</script>
</head>
<body onload="start()">
</body>
</html>

But this is pretty much the same as you posted, so i can't see what is exactly challenging you at this point. Do you want a timer delay between the function calls? Do you want to avoid placing the onloads inside functions?

-Job- said:
Do you want a timer delay between the function calls?

Mattara said:
I want to set the different mods to load in sequence instead by using a delay.

That is what I have in mind, but I'm not sure on how to accomplish it..

Then use setTimeout to implement a delay between function calls. Nothing very complex, like:
Code:
<html>
<head>
function func1(){
	alert("func1");
}
function func2(){
	alert("func2");
}
function func3(){
	alert("func3");
}
var counter = 1;
function delayedCall(){
	this["func"+counter++]();
	if(counter<4){
		setTimeout("delayedCall()", 1000);
	}
}
window.onload = delayedCall;
</script>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

Just use toload_a('Script name'); to add functions in toload_e(). toload_e() will start on the page load.
Code:
<html>
<head>
function duytr(){
	alert("func1");
}
function treda(){
	alert("func2");
}
function fregt(){
	alert("func3");
}

toloadfunc=new Array();
function toload_a(funcname){
	toloadfunc[toloadfunc.length]=funcname;
}
toload_a('duytr');
toload_a('treda');
toload_a('fregt');

function toload_e(){
	if(toloadfunc){
		for(var index = 0; index < toloadfunc.length; index++)
		{
		this[toloadfunc[index]]();
		}
	}
}
window.onload = toload_e;
</script>
</head>
<body>
</body>
</html>

myfcr has it right (above). Each browser tends to load Javascript files and subroutines that are declared in the page header in a different (unpredictable) order, so you need to consolidate calls to each individual subroutine in one 'onload' subroutine, cause a delay at the top of the 'onload' subroutinet in order to let all the rest of them get loaded into memory, and then let the individual subroutines get called in the order you want.

You'll need to test it in several different browsers and on slower machines to make sure it works in all cases.

What is JavaScript and why is it important for solving multiple onload issues?

JavaScript is a programming language used to add dynamic and interactive elements to web pages. It is important for solving multiple onload issues because it allows developers to manipulate and control the behavior of the page after it has loaded.

What are onload issues and how can JavaScript help with them?

Onload issues refer to problems that occur when a web page is being loaded. These can include slow loading times, elements not appearing correctly, or errors in the page. JavaScript can help with these issues by allowing developers to make changes to the page after it has loaded, such as adjusting the layout or fixing errors.

What is the role of the onload event in JavaScript?

The onload event is triggered when a web page has finished loading. It can be used to execute JavaScript code that will make changes to the page or perform certain actions once the page has fully loaded.

What are some common techniques for solving multiple onload issues with JavaScript?

One common technique is to use event listeners to detect when the page has finished loading and then execute code to make changes. Another technique is to use JavaScript to manipulate the Document Object Model (DOM) of the page, which allows for dynamic changes to the content and layout of the page.

Are there any potential drawbacks or limitations to using JavaScript for solving multiple onload issues?

One potential drawback is that not all users may have JavaScript enabled on their browsers, which could result in the page not functioning properly for those users. Another limitation is that excessive use of JavaScript can slow down the loading time of the page, so it is important to use it sparingly and efficiently.