Where can i buy monochromatic coloured filters(optics):

• Thread starter zak8000
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is looking for monochromatic colored filters without reflectivity, but these are difficult to find due to the narrow bandwidth of monochromatic light and the limitations of pigments. Alternatively, a spectrometer could be used to achieve monochromatic light, but this would also result in a significant loss of light.
zak8000
hi there i am looking for monochromatic colored filters like on the picture on the following web page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Filter-optics-1.jpg
(preferably with no reflectivity)

but i have had no luck trying to find them while looking on google

Science news on Phys.org
You will not find good monochromatic filters. Monochromatic light consists of only one wavelength. Let's assume there is a finite bandwidth of 1% to this filter (and that's not very monochromatic). So the filter would only admit 1% of the light. This would be extremely hard to produce with pigments, which are, essentially, broad band absorbers. Also the manufacturers would need to produce dozens of different ones 'just in case' someone wanted one of any specified wavelength.
If you really want a source of 'good' monochromatic light then you need a prism or diffraction grating and select light from just one angle. The optics need to be quite good so what I am saying you really want it a spectrometer of some sort. This needs a collimated source with a condenser to ensure plenty of light gets to the grating, a single slit to select the wanted light and some more optics to get the light where you need it. But the same problem arises in that you are chucking a lot of light away.

1. Where can I purchase monochromatic coloured filters for optics?

Monochromatic coloured filters for optics can be purchased at various scientific supply stores, online retailers, or directly from the manufacturer. It is important to ensure that the filters you are purchasing are of high quality and are compatible with your specific experiment or equipment.

2. Can I buy monochromatic coloured filters at a regular hardware store?

No, monochromatic coloured filters for optics are not typically sold at regular hardware stores. These filters are specialized and are used in scientific experiments and equipment. They can be found at scientific supply stores or online retailers that specialize in scientific equipment.

3. How do I know which monochromatic coloured filter to buy?

The specific monochromatic coloured filter you need to purchase will depend on the wavelength of light you are working with and the purpose of your experiment or equipment. It is best to consult with a scientist or researcher in your field for guidance on which filter to purchase.

4. Are monochromatic coloured filters expensive?

The cost of monochromatic coloured filters can vary depending on the size, quality, and brand. However, they are typically more expensive than regular coloured filters due to their specialized nature. It is important to invest in high-quality filters to ensure accurate and reliable results in your experiments.

5. Can I buy monochromatic coloured filters in bulk?

Yes, many scientific supply stores and online retailers offer bulk purchasing options for monochromatic coloured filters. This can be a cost-effective option for scientists and researchers who frequently use these filters in their experiments. Make sure to check the expiration date of the filters before purchasing in bulk to ensure they will remain effective for your experiments.