Where/how do you buy your STEM textbooks?

In summary, the conversation discusses the individual's approach to purchasing ebooks and textbooks. They prefer to obtain a PDF or skim through a book online before deciding to buy it. They also consider the price and condition of the book when purchasing from sites like Amazon or Abebooks. They have not purchased any ebooks for their Kindle due to negative reviews about displaying math expressions. Instead, they have been using their college's library portal to access scanned books or visiting a local bookseller. They also mention the option of supporting a website through affiliate links when making purchases.
fluidistic
Gold Member
What the title reads.

Ebooks count. Do you buy used textbooks too?

Personally, I usually try to get a PDF/djvu file of a book I am interested in (and/or simply skim through it via Google book if possible). If I like it, I check its price on Amazon, buy it if it is cheap (I take into account the price and also the number of pages. Paying 13 euros for a 100 pages book? No.). I also check its price on Abebooks, even if it is a used textbook. I got a very cheap book on solid state physics on Abebooks. Something like 10 euros for a textbook coming from a library in England, the book had been borrowed only twice in its lifetime, once in 2003 and once in 2006, needless to say it was in perfect conditions (and even solidified compared to the original non hard cover).
There are a few books I paid over 50 euros to get (Optics by Born & Wolf, Introduction to many-body physics by Coleman, Modern Condensed Matter Physics by Girvin).

So far I haven't bought any book for the Kindle (even though I own a Kindle), usually the comments are pretty negative regarding the display of math expressions, so I do not even consider buying a single text-ebook that way.

Physics news on Phys.org
It's been quite some time since I bought any book. Since the COVID lockdown, our college library has scanned many important books, and they are available through our college portal. If I need a book that is not available there, I go to College Street (or ask the bookseller at our college to get it for me).

Likes fluidistic
fluidistic said:
What the title reads.
Well, you can support PF by buying via the PF link to Amazon... :wink:

Greg Bernhardt said:
Buy on Amazon etc via PF
PF has opened affiliate account with Amazon. That means if you click a link to one of these stores on PF then PF receives around 5% of your purchase amount. That really helps with our bills! Great for when you are shopping for a holiday or the new school semester.

1. Where can I buy STEM textbooks?

There are several places where you can buy STEM textbooks. Some popular options include online retailers such as Amazon and Barnes & Noble, campus bookstores, and specialized STEM bookstores.

2. Are there any websites that offer discounted prices for STEM textbooks?

Yes, there are many websites that offer discounted prices for STEM textbooks. Some popular options include Chegg, Textbooks.com, and AbeBooks. You can also check for used textbooks on these websites or on online marketplaces such as eBay and Craigslist.

3. Can I rent STEM textbooks instead of buying them?

Yes, many online retailers and campus bookstores offer the option to rent STEM textbooks. This can be a more affordable option, especially if you only need the textbook for one semester.

4. Are there any resources for free STEM textbooks?

Yes, there are several resources for free STEM textbooks. Some websites, such as OpenStax, offer open-source textbooks that are available for free online. You can also check with your university's library, as they may have electronic versions of textbooks available for students to use.

5. Can I purchase e-books instead of physical textbooks?

Yes, many textbooks are available in e-book format. You can purchase them through online retailers or directly from the publisher's website. E-books are often more affordable and can be accessed on multiple devices, making them a convenient option for studying on-the-go.