Maximum combined length of command line arguments in c++

In summary, the maximum combined length of command line arguments, including the space between adjacent arguments, depends on the operating system and command shell being used. On Windows, the limit is typically 8191 characters, while on some Unix systems it can be much larger, up to 262144 characters. The C language does not have any restrictions on command line argument length.
mdamul
In a c language, what is the maximum combined length of command line arguments
including the space between adjacent arguments.?

Technology news on Phys.org
I don't think command line argument restrictions have anything to do with what code an app is written in, it's an O.S. characteristic and is likely to vary among Windows / MAC OS / UNIX.

I think, years ago, there was a DOS and early-windows restriction of 256 characters but I don't know that that still holds in windows.

i cannot understand

The limit depends on the operating system and the command shell you are using, not on the C language.

On Windows XP, Vista, and Windows 7 it is 8191 characters.
On some Unix systems it is much bigger, with limits like 65536 or even 262144 characters.

Look for the constant ARG_MAX in your C ibrary header files.

The maximum combined length of command line arguments in C++ depends on the specific compiler and operating system being used. However, most modern compilers and operating systems allow for a maximum combined length of at least 8192 characters. This includes the space between adjacent arguments. It is important to note that this limit can vary and may be different for different systems and compilers. Therefore, it is always recommended to check the documentation for the specific compiler and operating system being used to determine the maximum combined length of command line arguments.

FAQ: Maximum combined length of command line arguments in c++

1. What is the maximum combined length of command line arguments in C++?

The maximum combined length of command line arguments in C++ varies depending on the operating system being used. On most modern systems, the maximum length is typically around 8191 characters.

2. How does the maximum combined length of command line arguments affect my program?

If your program exceeds the maximum combined length of command line arguments, it may not run properly or may crash. It is important to consider this limit when designing your program to ensure it can handle a sufficient amount of input.

3. Can I increase the maximum combined length of command line arguments in C++?

The maximum combined length of command line arguments is set by the operating system and cannot be changed by the user. However, some systems may allow you to increase the limit by changing system settings or using specialized tools.

4. Is there a difference in the maximum combined length of command line arguments between different compilers?

The maximum combined length of command line arguments is determined by the operating system, not the compiler. Therefore, there should not be a difference in this limit between different compilers on the same system.

5. Can I use multiple command line arguments to bypass the maximum length limit in C++?

No, the maximum combined length of command line arguments includes all arguments passed to the program, regardless of whether they are separated by spaces or not. Therefore, using multiple arguments will not bypass the limit.