Safety match activation energy

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using nichrome wire and a high voltage source to ignite a series of matches by transferring a high amount of joules of energy. The participants also consider the chemistry and activation energy involved in the ignition of matches, including the use of white and red phosphorus. Research into the specific amounts of energy and substances necessary for match ignition is suggested.
wes000000
I saw a YouTube video where someone took nichrome wire and a high voltage source and managed to light a whole series of matches.

I got me curious so I ran some numbers on how much wattage could be produced for a given length of nichrome wire and a given voltage. And assuming time is no issues you could leave said power source connected to the wire for as long as possible and in theory get a very high amount of joules of energy transfer, but exactly how much energy is required to ignite a match, couldn't find anything online anywhere with specific numbers.

Physics news on Phys.org
You wouldn't, it depends on the match. These are not precision devices.

Take a close look at the chemistry of a safelty match.
http://chemistry.about.com/od/howthingsworkfaqs/f/howmatcheswork.htm

... look up the reactions involved as see which has the lowest activation energy.
You know the energy released by white phosphor burning in air is enough to start the match going.
You could look that up. But I suspect what you want to find is the activation energy for burning sulphur in air, and finding out how much sulphur is in the match, for a ball-park figure.

Interesting. Google suggests that red phosphorus turns into white phosphorous at around 250c so heating a small part of a match head to that temperature would appear to be enough to trigger a runaway reaction (I think). So you may not need to heat the whole mass of the match head?

1. What is "Safety match activation energy"?

The "Safety match activation energy" refers to the minimum amount of energy required to start the chemical reaction that ignites a safety match. This energy is typically provided by striking the match against a rough surface.

2. How is the activation energy of a safety match determined?

The activation energy of a safety match is determined by measuring the temperature at which the match ignites. This is typically done in a controlled environment, such as a laboratory, using specialized equipment.

3. Why is knowing the activation energy of a safety match important?

Knowing the activation energy of a safety match is important because it allows us to understand how easily and quickly the match will ignite. This information can be used to improve the design and safety of safety matches.

4. Can the activation energy of a safety match be changed?

Yes, the activation energy of a safety match can be changed by altering the composition of the match head or the striking surface. For example, adding more oxidizing agents to the match head can decrease the activation energy, making the match easier to ignite.

5. Are there any safety concerns related to the activation energy of safety matches?

Yes, the activation energy of safety matches can pose a safety concern if it is too low. This could lead to accidental ignitions and potential fire hazards. It is important for manufacturers to carefully control the activation energy of safety matches to ensure their safety.