IRS Questions $500,000 Tax Error

• Thread starter russ_watters
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Error Taxes
In summary, the IRS is questioning Warren about a discrepancy between the income he reported and the 1099s he received from his clients. Warren made a mistake by entering his boss's EIN instead of his own, and this has caused the IRS to question him about a half million dollars in income. Warren is confident that he will be able to fix the issue easily and everything will be fine, but it's always a good idea to have some money saved in case things don't go as planned.
russ_watters
Mentor
So I got a letter from the IRS this past week. I figured it was about a little penalty for being slow with my estimated taxes or something (I'm kinda self-employed, so I pay quarterly taxes...sometimes). Instead, it was about my 2004 taxes. There was a discrepancy, they said, between the income I reported and the 1099s they received from "my" clients. There were about a dozen of them, totalling just under half a million dollars.

I reinstalled TurboTax 2004, pulled up my return, and quickly found the problem: there is a box that says something like 'Employee Identification Number, if any'. I entered my boss's EIN, not realizing that the box was for my EIN (which I don't have). So now the IRS thinks *I* own Progressive Engineering, and didn't report that half a million in income that they are questioning me about.

Its a pretty simple error (and may exist on my 2005 return - I'll have to check that too), but we'll see if the IRS can straighten it out easily...

Physics news on Phys.org
So you misread "Employee" as "Employer"?
Oh dear..

Anyway, since you can provide IRS with a crystal clear explanation of the discrepancy, it shouldn't be any problems.
At least, that's how it works over here.

I hope everything turns out well.

I would keep a minimum of money in checking or savings until this is straightened out. They can and will come and take your all of your money.

I once went to them and let them know that I had made a mistake and owed them money. We worked out a simple payment plan and everything was dandy until all of my checks started bouncing. The IRS had taken all of the money in my checking account without any notice or warning.

Last edited:
I would hire an excellent accountant.. pronto.

- Warren

Perhaps you should flee to a tropical island with no extradition treaties?

russ_watters said:
I reinstalled TurboTax 2004, pulled up my return, and quickly found the problem: there is a box that says something like 'Employee Identification Number, if any'. I entered my boss's EIN, not realizing that the box was for my EIN (which I don't have). So now the IRS thinks *I* own Progressive Engineering, and didn't report that half a million in income that they are questioning me about.
Hmm, a smart way of finding out how much your boss makes :wink:

Rach3 said:
Perhaps you should flee to a tropical island with no extradition treaties?
But he doesn't REALLY have that half mil!

Do you suppose that they will let you have a internet connection in your cell?

What is the "IRS Questions $500,000 Tax Error"?

The "IRS Questions $500,000 Tax Error" refers to a reported error of $500,000 on a taxpayer's tax return that has been flagged by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) for further investigation.

How did the $500,000 tax error occur?

The $500,000 tax error could have occurred due to a variety of reasons, such as incorrect reporting of income or deductions, mathematical errors, or failure to include all necessary information on the tax return.

What should I do if I receive a notice about the $500,000 tax error from the IRS?

If you receive a notice from the IRS about the $500,000 tax error, it is important to carefully review the information and determine the cause of the error. If the error was unintentional, you can file an amended tax return with the correct information. If you believe the error is incorrect, you can provide supporting documentation to the IRS to dispute the error.

What are the potential consequences of the $500,000 tax error?

The potential consequences of the $500,000 tax error can include penalties, interest, and potential legal action by the IRS. It is important to address the error promptly and accurately to avoid further consequences.

How can I prevent tax errors in the future?

To prevent tax errors in the future, it is important to keep accurate and organized records, double-check all information before submitting your tax return, and seek professional help if needed. It is also important to stay updated on any changes to tax laws and regulations that may affect your tax return.