How is 'ucs' calculated in pressure of radiation?

In summary, the question is about understanding the equation P = E/c and how the value of ucs is derived. The solution suggests performing a dimensional analysis and multiplying the units to match the expected result. The original poster thanks the person who provided the solution.
logearav

Homework Statement

Revered Members,
While going through pressure of radiation topic in Thermal Physics, i got stumbled at this step.
it has been given P = E/c
If u is the energy density i.e energy per unit volume, then the total energy passing through area 's' of the surface normal to the incident radiation per second = ucs
I don't know how this " ucs " has been arrived.
Please help in this regard. Thanks in advance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Perform a dimensional analysis as follows:

u (energy / volume) = u (energy / length^3)

u (energy / length^3)
c (length / time)
area(length^2) = energy / time

Multiply this out and see if you can match the expected result.

Beautiful sir. Thanks a lot, i got it now

FAQ: How is 'ucs' calculated in pressure of radiation?

1. What is pressure of radiation?

Pressure of radiation, also known as radiation pressure, is the force exerted by electromagnetic radiation on an object. It is caused by the transfer of momentum from the photons of the radiation to the object's surface.

2. How is pressure of radiation calculated?

The pressure of radiation can be calculated using the formula P = I/c, where P is the pressure, I is the intensity of the radiation, and c is the speed of light. This formula is based on the fact that radiation carries both energy and momentum.

3. What are some examples of pressure of radiation?

Some examples of pressure of radiation include the pressure from sunlight on a solar sail, the force from a laser on a small particle, and the pressure from starlight on interstellar dust.

4. How does pressure of radiation affect objects in space?

In space, objects can experience significant pressure from radiation, especially when they are close to intense sources of radiation such as stars. This pressure can cause objects to move or even be pushed away from the radiation source.

5. How is pressure of radiation used in scientific research?

The pressure of radiation is an important concept in many areas of scientific research, including astrophysics, materials science, and optics. Scientists use radiation pressure to study the properties of different materials, manipulate small particles, and understand the behavior of objects in space.

Back