Interview after I already start teaching the class?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker being contacted by a community college for a part-time teaching job starting on Monday the 15th, but the interview won't take place until the week classes start. The speaker questions the suddenness of the position and wonders if the interview is more for future courses. Others congratulate the speaker and suggest wearing suitable attire for the interview.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
So I've been contacted by a Community college I was hoping to get a small job teaching a 6 hour/week course for some extra money. The course starts monday the 15th but the interview won't take place until the week classes start!

Has anyone ever heard of this? My contact said that I will simply start teaching the course that Monday. So this seems odd right? Is it possible that the position came up all-of-a-sudden (which I have reason to believe did happen as I know who use to teach the course) and they just need someone to teach it? And if so, is it possible that this interview would be more for them considering hiring me for courses in the future?

YAY ME :D

Science news on Phys.org
Yay! The interview sounds like just a formality, and perhaps it could affect their decision to give you more courses.

Pengwuino said:
So I've been contacted by a Community college I was hoping to get a small job teaching a 6 hour/week course for some extra money. The course starts monday the 15th but the interview won't take place until the week classes start!

Has anyone ever heard of this? My contact said that I will simply start teaching the course that Monday. So this seems odd right? Is it possible that the position came up all-of-a-sudden (which I have reason to believe did happen as I know who use to teach the course) and they just need someone to teach it? And if so, is it possible that this interview would be more for them considering hiring me for courses in the future?

YAY ME :D

Way to go pengy bird, that mean less time for PF antics then right ? Your posts many times make my day, since I will be out of work for about a week. I look forward to them.

Rhody... :approve:

rhody said:
Way to go pengy bird, that mean less time for PF antics then right ? Your posts many times make my day, since I will be out of work for about a week. I look forward to them.

Rhody... :approve:

What it really means is MORE STOOPID STUDENT STORIES :D :D :D

Pengwuino said:
What it really means is MORE STOOPID STUDENT STORIES :D :D :D

Yeeeeeeeeeeeey! :biggrin:

Well done pengy (for a physicist).

micromass said:
Yeeeeeeeeeeeey! :biggrin:

Well done pengy (for a physicist).

Ahem. That's Adjunct Faculty Pengy.

I'm going to be like this one dumb girl I use to know and put on my facebook that I'm now a research professor. I think I told you about her (I KNOW I've told Evo). She would lie like nobodies business.

Pengwuino said:
Ahem. That's Adjunct Faculty Pengy.

I'm going to be like this one dumb girl I use to know and put on my facebook that I'm now a research professor. I think I told you about her (I KNOW I've told Evo). She would lie like nobodies business.

LOL! :biggrin:

Way to go professor Peng!

Nice going! I vote for the "they already want you and the interview is a formality" hypothesis. Someone mighty sit in the class to see how you do, too, so you have a chance to shine!

Wear sutable attire. A tux imight be too formal. :)

Related to Interview after I already start teaching the class?

1. How do you balance teaching and attending interviews?

Balancing teaching and attending interviews can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize your commitments. Plan ahead and schedule your interviews on days when you have lighter teaching loads or during school breaks. You can also communicate with your colleagues and request for their assistance in covering your classes during your absence.

2. Is it appropriate to mention my interviews to my students?

It is not necessary to mention your interviews to your students. It is important to maintain a professional relationship with your students and keep personal matters separate from the classroom. However, if you need to take a day off for an interview, you can inform them that you have a personal commitment.

3. Should I inform my employer about my interviews?

It is always a good idea to inform your employer about your interviews, especially if they require you to take a day off. This shows professionalism and respect for your employer's time. You can also discuss with them about your schedule and any potential conflicts with your teaching responsibilities.

4. How can I prepare for an interview while still teaching?

Preparing for an interview while teaching can be challenging, but it is not impossible. Use your free time wisely and make a schedule to balance your teaching duties and interview preparation. You can also utilize online resources and practice interview questions during breaks or after school hours.

5. Will attending interviews affect my performance as a teacher?

Attending interviews should not affect your performance as a teacher. It is important to maintain a balance and communicate with your employer and colleagues about your schedule. Remember to prioritize your responsibilities and stay organized to ensure that your teaching duties are not compromised.