History of teaching on blackboard

user079622
I read that chalkboard is invented only in the 19 century, so how teacher before that explained pupils math and grammar with just oral instruction?
It seems impossible that people need 1000 years to figure out that teaching with board is much more effective.

Something must be wrong with this information?

Science news on Phys.org
user079622 said:
I read that chalkboard is invented only in the 19 century, so how teacher before that explained pupils math and grammar with just oral instruction?
It seems impossible that people need 1000 years to figure out that teaching with board is much more effective.

Something must be wrong with this information?
What is the source of this information?

Likes Vanadium 50 and Greg Bernhardt
user079622 said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackboard said:
The writing slate was in use in Indian schools as mentioned in Alberuni's Indica (Tarikh Al-Hind), written in the early 11th century:

They use black tablets for the children in the schools, and write upon them along the long side, not the broadside, writing with a white material from the left to the right.

Likes Vanadium 50 and Greg Bernhardt
Hill said:
What is the source of this information?
Every source when you write first chalkboard,blackboared in google.

• Sad
Likes BillTre
There are plenty of other writing and surface devices like charcoal and stone as the most primitive, but there was ink and paper/parchment before the chalkboard.

Likes BillTre, Math100 and Hill
user079622 said:
Every source when you write first chalkboard,blackboared in google.
Give a SPECIFIC example, not some handwaving generality.

Likes BillTre
user079622 said:
Back in Roman times, they used tablets like these:

1701736414887.jpeg

https://www.deviantart.com/pikajane/art/Fibonacci-Spiral-etch-a-sketch-274606867

• Haha
  • Love
Likes hutchphd, sbrothy, pinball1970 and 4 others
Greg Bernhardt said:
There are plenty of other writing and surface devices like charcoal and stone as the most primitive, but there was ink and paper/parchment before the chalkboard.
So instead board teacher wrote on big paper and put new paper every time after filled with text?

user079622 said:
So instead board teacher wrote on big paper and put new paper every time after filled with text?
In fact, I saw a taped lecture from the 20th century in which a professor did something like this. Actually, he had big sheets of paper prepared and attached to the wall and just moved from one to another as the lecture progressed. Kind of a low-tech PowerPoint.

Likes PhDeezNutz
Hill said:
In fact, I saw a taped lecture from the 20th century in which a professor did something like this. Actually, he had big sheets of paper prepared and attached to the wall and just moved from one to another as the lecture progressed. Kind of a low-tech PowerPoint.
It is too expensive to use every time new big paper for math tasks, but I cant believe that in middle ages they dont have some type of board at the wall

phinds said:
Give a SPECIFIC example, not some handwaving generality.
https://www.clarus.com/blog/history-of-the-blackboard/

Quote:
"Scotland has been credited with the invention. He first used the boards to teach his geography lessons to his students. Finally in 1801, George Baron, an instructor at West Point Military Academy incorporated a large black chalk board into his math presentation."

"Prior to the ingenious invention, teachers had no way of visually presenting spelling, grammar and mathematics to their students as a whole. Classes were taught directly from books and individual instruction making it difficult to overview and discuss important and sometimes overlooked events."

I cant believe that teacher must go to each pupil and explain him learning material.

Likes phinds
user079622 said:
https://www.clarus.com/blog/history-of-the-blackboard/

Quote:
"Scotland has been credited with the invention. He first used the boards to teach his geography lessons to his students. Finally in 1801, George Baron, an instructor at West Point Military Academy incorporated a large black chalk board into his math presentation."

"Prior to the ingenious invention, teachers had no way of visually presenting spelling, grammar and mathematics to their students as a whole. Classes were taught directly from books and individual instruction making it difficult to overview and discuss important and sometimes overlooked events."

I cant believe that teacher must go to each pupil and explain him learning material.
It seems that the use of blackboards followed changes in society:
In fact, through most of the history of mathematics, math skills were taught to a society's elite: priests, rulers, and selected others. Much of this education most closely resembled an apprenticeship, in which a priest or private tutor taught a student either individually or in very small groups. ...
(https://www.encyclopedia.com/scienc...hematical-textbooks-and-teaching-during-1700s)

Likes BillTre