August 18 - Conjunction of Venus and Jupiter

In summary: Yes, I'm in the US. I can't wait to see if I can see them tomorrow morning.In summary,On August 18, Venus and Jupiter will come close together in the early morning sky. The beehive cluster in the constellation Cancer will also be visible.
August 18 - Conjunction of Venus and Jupiter. Conjunctions are rare events where two or more objects will appear extremely close together in the night sky. The two bright planets will come unusually close to each other, only a quarter of a degree, in the early morning sky. Also, the beehive cluster in the constellation Cancer will be only 1 degree away. This rare, double-planet event is definitely one not to miss. Look for the bright planets in the east just before sunrise.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Greg Bernhardt said:
August 18 - Conjunction of Venus and Jupiter. Conjunctions are rare events where two or more objects will appear extremely close together in the night sky. The two bright planets will come unusually close to each other, only a quarter of a degree, in the early morning sky. Also, the beehive cluster in the constellation Cancer will be only 1 degree away. This rare, double-planet event is definitely one not to miss. Look for the bright planets in the east just before sunrise.

Yes, Thanks; I came across that yesterday and sent it to a friend...ought to be nice if you can get up a hour before sunrise tomorrow and have a clear view of the eastern horizon. Ought to be able to get a shot of both in the same field of view of a low to medium power eyepiece.

we have torrential rain here didn't see a thing :frown:

Dave

davenn said:
we have torrential rain here didn't see a thing :frown:

Dave

Wait; aren't you in Australia? ...Not Fair getting sneak previews before we get it here in America...and apparently at only 12 arc minutes separation...Not to worry Greg; most of those guys down under think its a UFO. :tongue:
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/latest-news/jupiter-and-venus-to-cause-ufo-sightings/story-fn3dxix6-1227026297046

hahaha good one

I suspect that will occur with many people in many countries

Our eastern horizon is mostly trees and houses, so I only got to see Venus & Jupiter through a gap when the sky was already quite light, around 5:30am UK time. They were still visible, very close together, for a short while, but Jupiter soon became difficult to see against the light sky.

The goddess of love in the courtyard of the great god Jupiter as the Greeks saw it.

LOL

1. What is the significance of the conjunction of Venus and Jupiter on August 18?

The conjunction of Venus and Jupiter on August 18 is a rare astronomical event where the two planets appear to be very close together in the night sky. This is significant because it is a beautiful and mesmerizing sight to see, and it also has a symbolic meaning in many cultures.

2. How often does the conjunction of Venus and Jupiter occur?

The conjunction of Venus and Jupiter occurs approximately once every 13 months, or about once a year. However, the exact frequency can vary slightly due to the different orbital speeds of the two planets.

3. What causes the conjunction of Venus and Jupiter?

The conjunction of Venus and Jupiter is caused by the alignment of the two planets in their orbits around the Sun. While they may appear close together in the night sky, they are actually hundreds of millions of miles apart.

4. Can the conjunction of Venus and Jupiter be seen with the naked eye?

Yes, the conjunction of Venus and Jupiter can be seen with the naked eye. It will appear as a bright, shining dot in the sky, but for a more detailed view, a telescope or binoculars can be used.

5. What is the best way to view the conjunction of Venus and Jupiter on August 18?

The best way to view the conjunction of Venus and Jupiter on August 18 is to find a dark and clear location away from city lights. Look towards the western horizon after sunset and you should be able to see the two planets shining brightly near each other. Remember to bring binoculars or a telescope for a closer look!