Best Books for FE Exam: General & Electrical Engineering

In summary: I was thinking about getting the FE review manual by Michael Lindeburg. I am not sure if that is the best book though.
Maxwell
Hey guys,

I was wondering if anyone had some suggestions for review books for the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) exam. I searched amazon.com for books, but there are SO many with mixed reviews that I am having trouble finding a book to study from.

I am looking for two books: one for the general exam and one for the electrical engineering exam. Price is NOT an issue.

Just the name of the publisher would be fine, but links from amazon.com would be amazing.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the exact same question as I am going to soon graduate in a double major in EE and physics. :D I may take the FE exam, even though my real plan is to start graduate studies in physics. However, having an engineering license can't hurt.

leright,

I bought this book for the general exam: FE Review Manual: Rapid Preparation for the General Fundamentals of Engineering Exam, 2nd ed. by Michael Lindeburg. For the EE specific exam, I got: Electrical Engineering: FE Exam preparation by Lincoln Jones.

I also picked up the "Fundamentals of Engineering Supplied-Reference Handbook" for $20. It's pretty helpful.

Good luck.

Maxwell said:
leright,

I bought this book for the general exam: FE Review Manual: Rapid Preparation for the General Fundamentals of Engineering Exam, 2nd ed. by Michael Lindeburg. For the EE specific exam, I got: Electrical Engineering: FE Exam preparation by Lincoln Jones.

I also picked up the "Fundamentals of Engineering Supplied-Reference Handbook" for $20. It's pretty helpful.

Good luck.

excellent. thanks a lot.

also, I know you can use any reference you want on the PE exam...does the same hold true for the FE exam? IIRC, they give you a small booklet with various physical constants and whatnot, but you cannot use other sources. Is this true?

Yeah, for the FE you can not bring ANYTHING in for reference except the "Fundamentals of Engineering Supplied-Reference Handbook," which is given to you. Also, you can only use calculators that are deemed acceptable by the NCEES. That list includes only four calculators, I believe.

I've heard that for EE's, the FE exam isn't really necessary. Why are you taking it?

Manchot said:
I've heard that for EE's, the FE exam isn't really necessary. Why are you taking it?

What? The FE is required for all engineering disciplines.

In Michigan, all engineers must take the FE (general engineering and discipline specific components - exam takes roughly 6 hours). Then one needs 4 years of experience working underneath a licenced PE. Finally, once the engineer in training accomplishes this then they must take the PE exam, which generally encompasses discipline specific topics and ethical issues.

It must vary by state, then. My school's EE department recommends that its students not even bother.

Manchot said:
It must vary by state, then. My school's EE department recommends that its students not even bother.

well, in terms or potential career advancement, the PE license is not as beneficial to EEs as it is to civil engineers. The school probably means that as an EE don't bother with the FE exam OR the PE exam.

However, I am pretty sure that both the FE exam and PE exam are required in all states if you wish to get a license. It's just not necessary to get a license in many engineering disciplines.

Now, if you wish to start your own firm, or become a consultant, then you must get a license.

Sorry to bump such an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone could tell me what is a good book for the FE Electrical Section?

The books on amazon for the electrical section all seem to have VERY bad reviews. Any ideas?

thanks!

1. What is the purpose of the "Best Books for FE Exam: General & Electrical Engineering" guide?

The purpose of the guide is to provide recommendations for the best books to prepare for the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) Exam in both general and electrical engineering. These books have been carefully selected based on their relevance, comprehensiveness, and effectiveness in helping students pass the exam.

2. Who can benefit from using this guide?

This guide can benefit anyone who is preparing to take the FE Exam in general or electrical engineering. This includes students, recent graduates, and professionals who are looking to become licensed engineers.

3. Are these books the only resources needed to pass the FE Exam?

No, these books are not the only resources needed to pass the FE Exam. They are meant to be used as a supplement to other study materials and resources. It is important to also review the FE Exam specifications and practice with sample questions and exams.

4. Can these books be used for other engineering disciplines?

While these books are specifically recommended for the general and electrical engineering sections of the FE Exam, they may also be useful for other engineering disciplines. However, it is important to also review the specific topics and subjects covered in the other disciplines to ensure proper preparation.

5. How were these books selected for the guide?

The books were selected based on their relevance to the FE Exam, recommendations from students and professionals, and reviews from experts in the field of engineering. The selection process was also guided by the comprehensiveness and effectiveness of the books in helping students pass the exam.