What is the correct calculation of opportunity cost in economics?

• Thread starter Kazza_765
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Economics
In summary, the conversation is about the concept of opportunity cost and its application to a problem presented by a lecturer in a postgraduate "Managerial Economics" class. The example problem involves a man named Jim who is considering starting his own company and the opportunity cost associated with it. While the definition of opportunity cost is agreed upon, there is a disagreement on the actual value of Jim's opportunity cost, with one person arguing it to be $70,000 and the other saying it is $160,000. The conversation also mentions that interest rates are zero.
Kazza_765
Hi all,

I've just taken my first postgraduate "Managerial Economics" class (aimed at people who haven't studied economics before), and my lecturer has thrown me a curve ball with the concept of opportunity cost. Either my memory's not as good as it used to be, or his isn't.

Anyway, he gave an example problem that went like this...

Jim currently has a job that pays $70,000 per year. He is considering starting up his own company next year.

The cost of starting up his own company (non-recoverable) is $100,000. If he starts up his own business, he will also work part-time for $10,000.

What is Jim's opportunity cost for setting up his own business.

Now, it was my understanding that opportunity cost is the value of the next best alternative. This is also the definition that the lecturer used in class. So in this case, the opportunity cost would be $70,000, because that is what Jim is missing out on by setting up his business.

My lecturer said that the opportunity cost is $160,000 ($70,000 - $10,000 + $100,000), which is what I would have called the total cost, of which the opportunity cost is only one part.Am I mistaken? Is the opportunity cost actually $160,000?edit: oh, and interest rates are zero.

Physics news on Phys.org
Given your definitions, I would say $160,000. He could be making $70,000 a year. Instead he has to pay $100,000 to start the company, while earning $10,000, a difference of 70000- 100000+ 10000= -160000.

Hello,

I am not an expert in economics but I can provide some insights into the concept of opportunity cost based on my understanding. Opportunity cost is indeed the value of the next best alternative that is given up in order to pursue a certain action. In this case, the next best alternative for Jim would be to continue working at his current job that pays $70,000 per year.

However, the calculation of opportunity cost can be a bit tricky and may vary depending on the perspective. Your lecturer's calculation of $160,000 takes into account the total cost of starting up the business, which includes the non-recoverable cost of $100,000 and the part-time income of $10,000 that Jim will no longer receive if he starts his own company. So, from this perspective, the opportunity cost would be the total cost that Jim would incur if he chooses to start his own business.

On the other hand, if we look at the opportunity cost from Jim's point of view, it would indeed be $70,000 as he would be giving up his current job and the associated income. So, both perspectives are correct in their own way.

I would recommend discussing this with your lecturer to understand their reasoning behind the calculation of opportunity cost in this scenario. It is also important to keep in mind that opportunity cost is not always a monetary value and can also include time, effort, and other resources that are given up in pursuit of a certain action.

I hope this helps clarify the concept of opportunity cost for you. Keep exploring and learning about economics, and don't hesitate to ask questions when something doesn't seem clear. Good luck with your studies!

1. What is opportunity cost?

Opportunity cost is the value of the next best alternative that is foregone when making a decision. In economics, it refers to the potential benefits or opportunities that could have been gained by choosing a different course of action.

2. How is opportunity cost calculated?

Opportunity cost is calculated by comparing the benefits of the chosen option with the benefits of the next best alternative. It can be calculated by dividing the value of the next best alternative by the value of the chosen option.

3. Why is opportunity cost important in decision making?

Opportunity cost is important in decision making because it helps individuals and businesses to make more informed and efficient choices. By considering the potential benefits of alternative options, decision makers can determine the best course of action that will lead to the most favorable outcome.

4. How does opportunity cost relate to the concept of scarcity?

Opportunity cost is closely related to the concept of scarcity, which refers to the limited availability of resources. Since resources are limited, individuals and businesses must make trade-offs and consider opportunity cost when making decisions about how to allocate these resources.

5. Can opportunity cost change over time?

Yes, opportunity cost can change over time. This is because the value of alternatives can fluctuate, as well as the value of the chosen option. For example, the opportunity cost of choosing to go to college may be higher for someone who has a high-paying job compared to someone who is currently unemployed.