Best astrophysics book for starters?

In summary, the conversation is about someone who is interested in astrophysics but feels hindered by their lack of mathematical skills. They are looking for book recommendations and have mentioned "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene and "Astrophysics is Easy" by Mike Inglis. They are seeking advice on which book to read first and have received suggestions such as Carrol-Ostlie's "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics."
Gufberg
Hello everyone

I'm attending first year of the danish Gymnasium and do feel seriously mathematically impaired, however i find especially astrophysics very interesting, and would like to know something about it.
It should be said that my mathematical ability is absolutly stretched at the otherwise simple 'y=ax+b'. So i will need some mathematical skill also, i just thought i might as well take the more interesting approach of astrophysics and learn what mathematics i need, as i discover stuff i don't understand.

Anyway, I've been looking at Brian Greene's 'The Elegant Universe' as it looks like a good
book for starters. I'm also thinking of buying Mike Inglis' 'Astrophysics is easy'.

Do you have any idea as to which books i should read first?. As is probably understood by the thread, i need to start from scratch on this :).

Thanks for listening!

Physics news on Phys.org
The Elegant Universe is a great book, I suggest that you read it if you're interested in String Theory and Astrophysics. It gives you a background of what your going to get yourself into.

Brian Greene's book is very easy to comprehend, hence I suggest you read it first.

Gufberg said:
Hello everyone

I'm attending first year of the danish Gymnasium and do feel seriously mathematically impaired, however i find especially astrophysics very interesting, and would like to know something about it.
It should be said that my mathematical ability is absolutly stretched at the otherwise simple 'y=ax+b'. So i will need some mathematical skill also, i just thought i might as well take the more interesting approach of astrophysics and learn what mathematics i need, as i discover stuff i don't understand.

Anyway, I've been looking at Brian Greene's 'The Elegant Universe' as it looks like a good
book for starters. I'm also thinking of buying Mike Inglis' 'Astrophysics is easy'.

Do you have any idea as to which books i should read first?. As is probably understood by the thread, i need to start from scratch on this :).

Thanks for listening!

Hi Gufberg:smile:,
just go to the following link in search type "Elegant universe",the book is very interesting
http://www.freebookspot.in/

All the
phyixlover

Thank you for advice !

I'm an astrophysics student, for beginners I think Carrol-Ostlie's "An Introduction to modern astrophysics" is the best.
You can find it in .djvu if you search on the net.
Greetings!

1. What is the best astrophysics book for beginners?

The best astrophysics book for beginners is "Astrophysics for People in a Hurry" by Neil deGrasse Tyson. It provides a comprehensive yet accessible introduction to astrophysics concepts.

2. What makes a good astrophysics book for starters?

A good astrophysics book for starters should explain complex concepts in a clear and easy-to-understand manner, provide relevant and up-to-date information, and include helpful illustrations or diagrams.

3. Are there any online resources for learning astrophysics?

Yes, there are many online resources such as websites, videos, and online courses that can help beginners learn about astrophysics. Some recommended resources include Khan Academy, Crash Course, and Astronomy Picture of the Day.

4. Do I need a background in math and science to understand astrophysics?

While a basic understanding of math and science can be helpful in understanding some concepts, it is not a requirement for learning about astrophysics. Many introductory books and resources are designed for non-scientists and use layman's terms to explain complex ideas.

5. Are there any other recommended astrophysics books for beginners?

Some other highly recommended astrophysics books for beginners include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, and "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene. It's always a good idea to read multiple books to gain a well-rounded understanding of the subject.