Self-studying physics in preparation for learning astrophysics on my own

In summary, the individual is self-studying astrophysics and cosmology for personal interest but needs to first study introductory physics and math concepts. They have a proposed study order including books by Kleppner, Purcell, Mary Boas, Taylor, and Griffiths. They are also considering adding a book for thermodynamics and general chemistry. They have a basic understanding of calculus and differential equations but need to review and improve their skills. They also mention wanting to eventually study special and general relativity and climate science. They are seeking advice and critique on their plan and potential book recommendations. Another individual suggests adding the book "An Introduction to Thermal Physics" by D. Schroeder to the list.
Silveresquemania
I have the ultimate goal of self-studying astrophysics and cosmology just for personal interest and fulfillment. I've taken introductory mechanics and electromagnetism with some modern physics in university, but at the time, I slacked off and didn't really learn the material well.

I am learning introductory astronomy alongside this in the meantime, and I once I gain some competence in basic physics, I might be able to start working on introductory astrophysics material alongside this. But in order to learn advanced astrophysics on my own later on, I want to self-study the necessary physics and whatever else I need first. I was wondering if someone could look at my plan and advise further:

Proposed Study Order for Astrophysics Learning Preparation
1. Kleppner for Introductory Mechanics
2. Purcell for Introductory Electricity and Magnetism
3. Mary Boas for Mathematical Prowess
4. Taylor for Classical Mechanics
5. Griffiths for Electricity and Magnetism
6. Griffiths for Quantum Mechanics
7. ? for Thermodynamics
8. ? for General Chemistry

I have taken up through calculus 3 and differential equations and I'm familiar but rusty with that material (and quite poor on differential equations). I think the Mary Boas book would help me get up to speed with that mathematical skills I would need. I also would want to learn in-depth into special and general relativity at some point in this plan, unsure of when. I also think something for basic climate science is something I would be interested in learning under the umbrella of astronomy. Is there anything else I should consider adding or learning? I was wondering if someone could critique this plan and recommend some books for these other areas I mentioned.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your choice of books look good. As for Thermal Physics I have lost touch with this subject but believe the book by Schroeder is a reasonable choice. As far as chemistry is concerned well I'm a physicist although it would seem inorganic chemistry is the best area to start unless you become interested in exobiology where you would need to include organic chemistry.

The study of advanced physics subjects requires a substantial grounding in the basics. Without formal oversight of your progress it is not clear how well you will achieve this considering that you are attempting to duplicate a full physics undergraduate program on you own. Physics students spend up to eight hours a day studying, learning, practicing these subjects for four years in order for them to be able to learn more advanced physics.

Since this is for your own enrichment you might also start with a good intro to Astrophysics reading/studying it concurrently with the other subjects and help you concentrate on relevant topics. Of course there is the problem that you may skip something from the basic subjects because it it assumed but not identified explicitly in the astrophysics text. You won't know what you don't know.

But hey its a great hobby and will certainly keep you busy. Good Luck.

Likes JD_PM
The choice of books is fine, but you might think about holding off on buying book N until you are through with book N-1 or N-2.

Likes archaic, JD_PM and Bystander
gleem said:
Your choice of books look good. As for Thermal Physics I have lost touch with this subject but believe the book by Schroeder is a reasonable choice.

I'd also recommend An Introduction to Thermal Physics by D. Schroeder. It's a book you can self-study (it provides a nice introductory insight to Thermal and Statistical Physics in a readable way). Besides, you can check the solution to many of its problems online.

Silveresquemania said:
I have the ultimate goal of self-studying astrophysics and cosmology just for personal interest and fulfillment. I've taken introductory mechanics and electromagnetism with some modern physics in university, but at the time, I slacked off and didn't really learn the material well.

I am learning introductory astronomy alongside this in the meantime, and I once I gain some competence in basic physics, I might be able to start working on introductory astrophysics material alongside this. But in order to learn advanced astrophysics on my own later on, I want to self-study the necessary physics and whatever else I need first. I was wondering if someone could look at my plan and advise further:

Proposed Study Order for Astrophysics Learning Preparation
1. Kleppner for Introductory Mechanics
2. Purcell for Introductory Electricity and Magnetism
3. Mary Boas for Mathematical Prowess
4. Taylor for Classical Mechanics
5. Griffiths for Electricity and Magnetism
6. Griffiths for Quantum Mechanics
7. ? for Thermodynamics
8. ? for General Chemistry

I have taken up through calculus 3 and differential equations and I'm familiar but rusty with that material (and quite poor on differential equations). I think the Mary Boas book would help me get up to speed with that mathematical skills I would need. I also would want to learn in-depth into special and general relativity at some point in this plan, unsure of when. I also think something for basic climate science is something I would be interested in learning under the umbrella of astronomy. Is there anything else I should consider adding or learning? I was wondering if someone could critique this plan and recommend some books for these other areas I mentioned.

I suggest you finish Kleppner & Kolenkow before buying Taylor. You should choose between Purcell and Griffiths for EM. I think EM is tough, so better to wait until you've got Classical Mechanics under your belt.

I like Griffiths for QM.

For SR, Morin has the first chapter of his book online:

http://www.people.fas.harvard.edu/~djmorin/Relativity Chap 1.pdf

Alternatively, I like:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/6453378-special-relativity

For self-study, Hartle is a good introduction to GR:

https://web.physics.ucsb.edu/~hartle/gravity.html

Although, eventually you will have to tackle one of the more heavyweight texts.

Likes JD_PM
Yeah, my plan is definitely to not buy more than a couple books at a time since it will probably take me at least a few months to go through one. I'm just going to start out focusing on Kleppner and the Open Stax Introductory Astronomy textbook I've started going through. But as one of you said, probably once I finish Kleppner and maybe Purcell, I'll start looking into an introductory astrophysics text to go through as well to go through alongside them for inspiration and to start engaging in what I'm most interested in learning.

I think I have enough of a road-map here to keep me busy for quite a long time, so I'll check in later on about what to do next if or when I get through these texts.

One thing I will ask, is do any of you know good texts that go in-depth into special and general relativity since those are huge interest areas for me as well (I have a basic understanding of how special works)? And at what point in my study should I tackle them?

Silveresquemania said:
One thing I will ask, is do any of you know good texts that go in-depth into special and general relativity since those are huge interest areas for me as well (I have a basic understanding of how special works)? And at what point in my study should I tackle them?

You can do SR at any time. All it requires is lower level maths and a decent understanding of kinematics.

GR is a hard subject. You need to be well prepared for that. I wouldn't rush at it.

If you look at a typical university undergraduate syllabus, then GR would appear, if at all, in your final year.

1. How should I approach self-studying physics for astrophysics?

The best approach to self-studying physics for astrophysics is to start with the basics, such as classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics. It is important to have a solid understanding of these fundamental concepts before moving on to more advanced topics in astrophysics.

2. What resources should I use for self-studying physics?

There are many resources available for self-studying physics, including textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems. Some recommended resources for astrophysics include "An Introduction to Modern Astrophysics" by Bradley W. Carroll and Dale A. Ostlie, and online lectures from universities such as MIT and Yale.

3. How much time should I dedicate to self-studying physics?

The amount of time needed for self-studying physics will vary for each individual. It is important to set aside a consistent amount of time each day or week to study and practice problems. It is also important to take breaks and not overwhelm yourself.

4. Do I need a strong math background for self-studying physics for astrophysics?

A strong understanding of math is essential for studying physics, especially for astrophysics. It is recommended to have a solid foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and differential equations before delving into astrophysics.

5. Can I learn astrophysics on my own without a formal education?

While it is possible to learn astrophysics on your own, it can be challenging without a formal education. It is important to have a strong foundation in physics and math, as well as access to resources and guidance from experts in the field. Consider joining online forums or communities to connect with others who are also self-studying astrophysics.