Question about Power & Lightbulbs (really embarassed dont laugh)

• Thread starter billiam
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Power
In summary: The formula for power is P = IV, and I = Q/T. Warren thinks the answer is when the glow of the filament is increasing because the longer the time interval, the smaller the current, and therefore the lower the power.- However, this logic is mostly wrong, as the relationship between current and time is not directly related to power. Instead, the power can be determined by looking at changes in resistance as the filament's temperature changes.- The resistance to current in the filament causes heat to be produced, known as glowing. It is still unclear how this relates to power.- To understand
billiam
Ok this question is pretty rudimentary but i only have one try so I am not sure.

When is more power delivered to a lightbulb, just after it is turned on and the glow of the filament is increasing or after it has been on for a few seconds and the glow is steady?
a.) When the glow of the filament is increasing.
b.) When the glow of the filament is steady.

Ok the formula for power is P = IV. and I = Q/T

the longer the time interval, the smaller the current, and consequently the lower the power so I am thinking the answer is a.) when the glow of the filament is increasing.

Is this logic totally wrong? thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
billiam said:
and I = Q/T

the longer the time interval, the smaller the current,

Is this logic totally wrong? thanks.
Mostly wrong if I=Q/T got you to that smaller current argument.
Instead interpret that to say – To maintain a current I over double a time interval of T will require the moving of twice as many charge units Q.
This has little to do with figuring your power.

On the power issue – deciding what is happening to the resistance of the filament as its temperature changes should do.

RandallB said:
On the power issue – deciding what is happening to the resistance of the filament as its temperature changes should do.

so there is resistance to current in the fillament causing heat to be produced known as glowing. I am still not sure how this equates to more or less power being delivered.

??
Ok you’re just getting started.
Normal power sources V is constant.
P=IV is right – but what is I?
I=V/R
So P=V (V/R)
Go over that Basic Electricity book or google for some instruction.

To learn how the constant V you’re being supplied, doesn’t always stay constant, read up “Impedance” (internal resistance) of the battery or supply.

Have fun reading.

For metals, resitivity generally increases with temperature. As the filament gets hot, its power consumption falls.

- Warren

What is the connection between power and lightbulbs?

The connection between power and lightbulbs is that lightbulbs require power to function. Power, whether it is electrical or another form, is necessary to create the chemical reaction that produces light in a lightbulb.

What does wattage mean when referring to lightbulbs?

Wattage is a unit of measurement that refers to the amount of power a lightbulb uses. It indicates how much energy a lightbulb consumes and is a measure of its brightness. The higher the wattage, the brighter the lightbulb will be.

What is the difference between CFL and LED lightbulbs?

CFL (compact fluorescent lamp) and LED (light-emitting diode) lightbulbs are both energy-efficient alternatives to traditional incandescent lightbulbs. The main difference between them is the technology they use to produce light. CFLs use gas and electricity, while LEDs use semiconductors. LEDs also tend to be more efficient and have a longer lifespan than CFLs.

How do I know which lightbulb is the right one for my needs?

When choosing a lightbulb, there are a few factors to consider. These include the wattage, color temperature, lumens (brightness), and the type of light (warm or cool). The best way to determine the right lightbulb for your needs is to read the packaging or consult with a knowledgeable salesperson.

Can using the wrong wattage lightbulb be dangerous?

Yes, using a lightbulb with a higher wattage than what is recommended for the fixture can be dangerous. It can cause the fixture to overheat and potentially start a fire. It is essential to use the proper wattage for your light fixtures to ensure safety and prevent damage to the fixture.