Is CNG Level Sensor Calibrated for Stored Temperature?

• Thread starter signorvivek
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensor
In summary, you need a pressure sensor and a temperature sensor to measure the level of CNG in a cylinder.
signorvivek
Hey,
As all of u know CNG Level sensor gives an output of level of CNG in the cylinder. Do pressure of CNG in cylinder is caliberated level ?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Signorvivek. I'm afraid that I'm not entirely sure what your question is. Are you asking if the level is determined by a pressure measurement?
I don't know about the type of installation you're referring to. For 'household' size propane tanks, it goes by either the weight of the tank or the temperature on the outside (it's colder where the liquid is). Other systems have a float mechanism inside the tank that sends a signal to the gauge. I don't know how accurately you could determine the amount of fuel by the pressure alone.

now i don't know anything about how do you sense the amount of fuel left in the CNG tank(or cylinder), but i guess knowing the pressure and temperature inside the cylinder will let one know the amount(mass i mean) of gas left.

The pressure of a container holding a saturated fluid won't tell you anything about quantity. The fluid has to be superheated (ie: in a gas phase) in order for the pressure to correspond to a quantity.

I'd assume you're referring to CNG (CH4) being stored as a compressed, superheated gas, so yes - pressure would correspond to mass, but if you're referring to LNG, which is generally the saturated fluid, then no, the pressure won't correspond to mass.

Note that LNG is just CH4 that's been liquified at roughly -259 F or -162 C, and thus is stored as a cryogenic liquid.

As u are telling temperature is also a parameter other than pressure for measuring level in the CNG Cylinder...
So i must have a pressure sensor and temperature sensor for measuring Level in cylinder.

Can you tell me what are the different types of Level sensors available for CNG cylinder?

CNG is "compressed natural gas", it is gasseous at ambient temperature. Saying there's a "level" implies a liquid level, so please verify we're talking about a gas.

To measure the total mass of a gas in a container, you need to know the pressure, temperature and volume of the container. You could also measure the mass on a weight scale, but that's very rarely done. I don't know of any other way to measure mass in a cylinder.

Any one can tell me how to measure the temperature of CNG in a cylinder.

How about with a thermocouple? Measuring temperature is easy compared to some other metrics...

But where the device be installed. I am talking about the temperature of CNG that is stored in storage cylinder in a CNG Station

1. How does a CNG level sensor work?

A CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) level sensor works by measuring the pressure inside the CNG tank. As the gas is consumed, the pressure inside the tank decreases, and the sensor detects this change and sends a signal to the fuel gauge to display the current level of CNG in the tank.

2. What are the components of a CNG level sensor?

The main components of a CNG level sensor include a pressure sensor, a microcontroller, and a communication interface. The pressure sensor measures the pressure inside the tank, the microcontroller processes the data and sends a signal to the fuel gauge, and the communication interface allows the sensor to communicate with other systems in the vehicle.

3. How accurate is a CNG level sensor?

The accuracy of a CNG level sensor depends on several factors such as the quality of the sensor, the condition of the CNG tank, and the calibration of the sensor. Generally, a CNG level sensor can have an accuracy of around 5-10%, which is sufficient for most vehicles.

4. Can a CNG level sensor be installed in any vehicle?

Yes, a CNG level sensor can be installed in any vehicle that runs on compressed natural gas. However, the installation process may vary depending on the make and model of the vehicle. It is recommended to consult a professional for proper installation.

5. How can I maintain the accuracy of my CNG level sensor?

To maintain the accuracy of a CNG level sensor, it is important to regularly calibrate the sensor. This involves comparing the readings of the sensor with the actual level of CNG in the tank and making necessary adjustments. It is also important to keep the CNG tank clean and free of any debris that may interfere with the sensor's readings.