Latent Heat of Fusion of Ice

In summary, a student conducted a calorimeter experiment in which the teacher warned that the latent heat of fusion of ice value would differ from the standard value due to the presence of water in the ice and the fact that it melts slightly before the experiment. The student obtained a smaller value in their experiment and questioned whether this was correct. According to their logic, a smaller value would be expected due to the less energy required to melt the already melted ice. However, the student acknowledges that they are still a student and would like confirmation of their logic.
mopar969
We did a calorimeter experiment in my school however the teacher warned us that the latent heat of fusion of ice value will be different from the standard value because the ice has water in it and because the ice melts little before actually doing the experiment. However my question is which way should the number be different should it be a larger or smaller value? I got a smaller value in my experiment but I do not know how to explain why it is smaller.

I think it should be smaller because if some of the ice is already melted then less energy is necessary to melt the ice therefore a smaller number. Please make sure my logic is correct though?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
To me your logic is right. However I'm still a student.

What is the definition of latent heat of fusion of ice?

The latent heat of fusion of ice refers to the amount of energy required to change a unit mass of ice from solid to liquid form at a constant temperature. This energy is necessary for the molecules in ice to break free from their rigid structure and turn into a more fluid state.

Why is the latent heat of fusion of ice important?

The latent heat of fusion of ice is important because it plays a crucial role in many natural processes such as weather patterns, ocean currents, and the formation of glaciers. It also has practical applications in industries such as refrigeration and food preservation.

How is the latent heat of fusion of ice measured?

The latent heat of fusion of ice is typically measured using a calorimeter, which is a device that can measure the amount of heat released or absorbed during a physical or chemical change. In the case of ice, the calorimeter would measure the heat released when ice melts at a constant temperature.

What factors affect the latent heat of fusion of ice?

The latent heat of fusion of ice is primarily affected by pressure and temperature. Higher pressures can increase the melting point of ice, while lower temperatures can decrease it. Other factors such as impurities in the ice and the presence of other substances can also influence the latent heat of fusion.

How does the latent heat of fusion of ice compare to other substances?

The latent heat of fusion of ice is relatively high compared to other substances. It takes 334 joules of energy to melt one gram of ice, while it only takes 80 joules to change the temperature of the same amount of water by one degree Celsius. This is due to the strong hydrogen bonds between water molecules in ice, which require a significant amount of energy to break.