Any employers\employees here willing to shed some light on BCIT's reputation?

• Thread starter JeremyWsmith
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Light
In summary, BCIT typically gets graduates jobs in the Electrical Engineering field. The program is 4 years long, includes a shared year with a diploma in Computer engineering technology, and is more practice than theory.
JeremyWsmith
I was thinking of applying to BCIT's Electrical Engineering program and I was curious what employers expect out of BCIT graduates in the Electrical Engineering Field and what they typically find with the grads (i.e work-habbits and if they are prepared or not for the work field.)

You can see a list of courses here:
http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/8030beng

Further, that course shares the same first year with the this: http://www.bcit.ca/study/programs/548adiplt

I don't mind if you muster a response that isn't relavent to BCIT. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't give you much advice or comment on BCIT's general reputation, but I can mention that I have a friend who went to BCIT and got a job in his field. It wasn't in electrical engineering but rather some sort of medical technology(/engineering?) 2 year program. His job is out in Saskatchewan, and I think he's been sent around to various places for training. Of course, he got his job a number of years ago now, so I don't know what the outlook for jobs is now (or would be in a few years when you graduate). So, I would wager BCIT has a good reputation and gets people jobs, but I don't know how an electrical engineering degree from BCIT's 2 year program would be viewed against someone with an electrical engineering degree from SFU or UBC.

I do agree with you in regards to the program length; however the bachelors in electrical engineering is 4 years (including the shared year with a diploma in Computer engineering technology)

I was thinking of applying to SFU but I hear the first three years are all book work. The difference between UBC\SFU etc and BCIT is that BCIT - or so I hear - employs a different learning strategy; its a lot more practice and, I assume, a little less theory. Also, I hear bcit is (in)famous for working their students really hard to get the courses done really fast.

Yeah, I mention SFU/UBC vs. BCIT merely to bring it up in case it is important - I don't know how employers view the different degrees, and all I really know about SFU's engineering programs is that a co-op work term is mandatory (at least, it used to be - I assume it still is but I don't know for sure).

Well, financially speaking at least, BCIT is really my best option; plus there is a very dramatic increase in competition over in SFU and UBC which I don't want to get myself involved in.

With that said, I would really like to confirm that this is the right choice for me because I can't afford (literally) to make a mistake in regards to my post-secondary education.

If someone doesn't mind, could they go over the course list and comment on it a bit - sorry I am pushing all this work on you guys I just don't know what to look for.

Thanks for your advice Mute :) .

FAQ: Any employers\employees here willing to shed some light on BCIT's reputation?

1. What is BCIT's reputation in the job market?

BCIT has a strong reputation in the job market, with many employers actively seeking out graduates from the institution. The hands-on, practical approach to education at BCIT prepares students for real-world work experiences, making them highly desirable to employers.

2. How does BCIT compare to other institutions in terms of employability?

BCIT is known for its high employability rates, with a large percentage of graduates finding employment in their field of study within six months of graduation. This is due to the institution's focus on practical skills and experiential learning, giving graduates a competitive edge in the job market.

3. Are BCIT graduates well-respected by employers?

Yes, BCIT graduates are highly respected by employers. The institution has a reputation for producing well-rounded and highly skilled individuals who are ready to hit the ground running in their respective industries. Employers often praise BCIT graduates for their strong work ethic, technical skills, and ability to adapt to new environments.

4. Is BCIT's reputation limited to a specific industry or field?

No, BCIT's reputation extends to a wide range of industries and fields. The institution offers programs in areas such as business, engineering, health sciences, computing, and trades, among others. BCIT graduates are sought after in various industries, making the institution a great choice for those looking for a versatile education.

5. How does BCIT's reputation impact job opportunities for students and graduates?

BCIT's strong reputation can positively impact job opportunities for students and graduates. Many employers actively seek out BCIT graduates, and the institution has a strong network of industry partners and alumni who often provide job opportunities for current students and recent graduates. Additionally, the practical skills and hands-on experience gained at BCIT make graduates highly desirable to employers, increasing their chances of securing employment.