Dynamics midterm coming up don't understand pulley questions

In summary, the problem involves determining the speed of an elevator with two motors drawing in the cable at a constant speed of 5 m/s. The book has chosen arbitrary points on each cable to measure the height, as the exact length does not matter, only the rate of change. This allows for the problem to be solved regardless of where the points are chosen.
Faheema Baksh
Determine the speed of the elevator if each
motor draws in the cable with a constant speed of 5 m>s.

Here is a link to the question and diagram. Scroll down to page 154. Its question 12-199.

http://www.mem.odu.edu/~bawab/ME205f/hwk12.pdf

I don't understand how to get the distances. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Faheema! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Faheema Baksh said:
I don't understand how to get the distances.

There are motors at B and C, and the cables are disappearing into the motor mechanism …

so we can't measure the distance to the end of the cable! :redface:

So the book has chosen an arbitrary point on each cable, and measured the height of that instead. :biggrin:

Thanks :) but this height that the book has chosen represents what exactly?

Nothing!

It's arbitrary! :smile:

Can't you see from the diagram that they've cut each cable at a totally random point? :wink:

(and if they used some other point, that would only add a constant to the equations, which would cancel out in the end)

Yes, it's not the length that matters, it's the rate of change of the length. Imagine that the points where they "cut" the cables are really just black lines marked on the rope. You know the rate of change of the height of the black marks is directly given by the motor speeds, so put the marks wherever you want, and proceed.

1. How do I solve pulley problems on the dynamics midterm?

To solve pulley problems on the dynamics midterm, you should first draw a free body diagram for each object involved and label all the forces acting on them. Then, use Newton's laws of motion to set up equations of motion for each object. Finally, solve the equations to find the unknown variables.

2. Can you provide an example of a pulley problem that might be on the dynamics midterm?

An example of a pulley problem on the dynamics midterm might be a system with two masses connected by a rope passing over a pulley. The question could ask you to find the acceleration of the masses and the tension in the rope.

3. I'm struggling with understanding the concept of mechanical advantage in pulley systems. How can I better understand it?

Mechanical advantage in pulley systems is the ratio of the output force to the input force. To better understand this concept, you can practice solving different pulley problems and observing how the number of ropes and pulleys affect the mechanical advantage.

4. How do I know when to use the free body diagram method to solve pulley problems?

The free body diagram method is used to solve any problem involving the forces acting on an object or system. Therefore, it is always the first step in solving pulley problems on the dynamics midterm.

5. Are there any tips or tricks for solving pulley problems on the dynamics midterm?

One helpful tip for solving pulley problems on the dynamics midterm is to always start by identifying the acceleration of the system. This will help you determine which direction the forces are acting and how they are related to each other. Additionally, make sure to carefully label all the forces in your free body diagrams to avoid any mistakes in setting up the equations of motion.