How to approach ME System Dynamics problems?

In summary, the conversation is about a student struggling to understand and apply problem-solving methods in modeling mass-spring-pulley systems for an upcoming test. They are using a textbook that does not provide enough guidance on approach methods and problem analysis. The student understands general dynamics but needs help with specific steps and intuition for solving problems. They are also struggling with deriving equations of motion and finding transfer functions. The conversation ends with the student requesting insight and examples of problems to practice with.
LostMechE901
In Summary: I have a test Friday in modeling mass-spring-pulley systems, and I'm struggling to tie everything together. We're using the textbook System Dynamics 3rd Edition by William Palm III, and while it does a great job describing the individual components of each system, it does a crappy job teaching any sort of approach methods, problem analysis and solving procedures, and tying everything together in general.

Details: I understand general dynamics well enough to pass this test. I need help with approach methods. A series of general steps analyzing the problems if you will. I look at solutions, and I can understand how they got from A to B. If you give me a fresh problem I have no idea where to start. I don't know when to use the work energy theorem vs the mathematical approach with systems of force equations. I always draw my free body diagrams, have a bunch of ΣF = mX" and αI0 = rT = τ equations, and always fail to tie them together. Furthermore, on the test it appears he wants us to come up with transfer functions, and I can't even derive the equations of motion. :frown: If anyone has any insight on problem solving approaches and developing intuition for these relationships, I would be so grateful. Here are some example problems to give an idea of what kind of questions he will be asking.

Question 4.JPG
Question 5.JPG
Question 6.JPG
question 7.JPG

Again, I don't require the solutions to these, just approach methods, steps, etc. General problem solving procedure.

Attachments

• Question 4.JPG
    Question 4.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 380
  • Question 5.JPG
    Question 5.JPG
    34.1 KB · Views: 438
  • Question 6.JPG
    Question 6.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 395
  • question 7.JPG
    question 7.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 409
Physics news on Phys.org
Example Problems:1. A mass of 10 kg is suspended from a pulley system. The pulley is connected to a spring with a spring constant of 50 N/m. The system is released from rest when the mass is 0.5 m below its equilibrium position. Find the time it takes for the mass to reach equilibrium.2. A 3 kg mass is connected to a uniform pulley of radius 0.3 m and moment of inertia 0.01 kg-m2. Find the angular acceleration of the pulley if the tension in the cord is 50 N.3. A mass of 2 kg is connected to a spring with a spring constant of 60 N/m and a pulley system with a radius of 0.2 m and moment of inertia 0.005 kg-m2. Find the natural frequency and damping ratio of the system.

1. What is the first step in approaching a ME System Dynamics problem?

The first step in approaching a ME System Dynamics problem is to clearly define the system and its boundaries. This involves identifying all the components, variables, and relationships within the system.

2. How do I identify the key variables in a ME System Dynamics problem?

To identify the key variables in a ME System Dynamics problem, you need to understand the cause-and-effect relationships within the system. Look for variables that have a direct impact on the behavior of the system.

3. What techniques can I use to model and simulate a ME System Dynamics problem?

There are various techniques that can be used to model and simulate a ME System Dynamics problem, including stock and flow diagrams, differential equations, and computer simulations. It is important to choose the most appropriate technique for the specific problem.

4. How can I validate my model and simulation results?

To validate your model and simulation results, you can compare them to real-world data or conduct sensitivity analysis to see how small changes in variables affect the overall behavior of the system. It is also important to have multiple experts review and critique your model.

5. What are some common pitfalls to avoid when approaching a ME System Dynamics problem?

Some common pitfalls to avoid when approaching a ME System Dynamics problem include oversimplifying the system, ignoring important variables, and not considering feedback loops. It is also important to continuously test and refine your model to ensure accuracy.