Throwing and dropping something

• Thread starter sgstudent
  • Start date
In summary: This means that when you throw it down from a building, the acceleration will be more than 10m/s^2 because the force of gravity is added to the force acting downwards. However, as the ball falls, the force of gravity remains the same and eventually the acceleration will decrease to 10m/s^2. This means that the ball will continue to increase in speed but at a slower rate as it falls. In summary, when throwing a ball up or down, the only force acting on it is gravity, resulting in a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2 downwards.
sgstudent
When I throw a ball up in the air, my acceleration will still be -10m/s^2 right? Just that my original upwards force before I release it will result in a greater upwards speed, then when the hand stops producing the force, the weight will result in a -10m/s^2 causing a deceleration and eventual a downwards acceleration of 10m/s^2 right?

Then when I throw a ball down from a building. In addition to the force acting downwards there is weight, so at the point my acceleration is more than 10m/s^2. Then when I release the ball, I have a decreased force. So will the acceleration start to decrease to 10m/s^2? So that means I will increase in speed but now in a slower rate as the ball goes down?

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
While the ball is in your hand, there are two forces acting on the ball: the force from your hand and gravity. As soon as the ball leaves your hand, the only force acting is gravity (ignoring air resistance) which gives a constant acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2 downward. That acceleration is the same regardless of whether you drop the ball, throw it up, or throw it down.

All the time that your hand is holding the ball, it could be accelerating at whatever rate your muscles are capable of making it. The rate of acceleration could be changing. At the moment it leaves your hand, the only thing that is important is its velocity: if we know its speed and direction of motion at this moment, we can calculate its trajectory.

As soon as it leaves your hand, the only thing acting on it is gravity, which gives it a constant downwards acceleration of 9.8 m/s^2.

What is the difference between throwing and dropping something?

Throwing is the act of propelling an object through the air with force, while dropping is the act of releasing an object from one's hand or grip without force.

What affects the trajectory of a thrown object?

The trajectory of a thrown object is affected by the initial velocity, angle of release, air resistance, and gravitational force.

How does the weight of an object impact the distance it can be thrown?

The weight of an object does not significantly impact the distance it can be thrown. The initial velocity and angle of release have a greater influence on the distance a thrown object can travel.

Is there a limit to how far an object can be thrown?

There is no definite limit to how far an object can be thrown, as it depends on the initial conditions and external factors such as air resistance. However, the maximum distance a human can throw an object is limited by their strength and physical abilities.

Can an object be thrown or dropped in space?

Yes, an object can be thrown or dropped in space, but it will behave differently due to the absence of air resistance and gravity. In the absence of gravity, the object will continue to move in a straight line with constant velocity until acted upon by an external force.